1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Misconceptions In Science

Discussion in 'Science' started by Apple101, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Doug1943

Doug1943 New commenter

But think of the golf, or tennis!

2. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Indeed there are many misconceptions in text books. A quote from the new Edexcel Year1 A level mechanics book: "As the force of gravity does not depend on mass...."

Many other misconceptions in text books are more in the nature of simplifications. I find it difficult teaching pupils that metals are malleable because the layers of atoms are easily able to slide over each other. My degree is in metallurgy and materials. One of our first lectures was a calculation showing the enormous force which would be required for this to happen and explaining metals actually deform by the movement of crystal defects called dislocations.

livingstone83 and iGCSE101 like this.
  3. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Actually Alan Shepard (Apollo 14 commander) did play golf on the moon, or at least he hit a couple of golf balls which went a very long way.

4. stephenkemp193

stephenkemp193 New commenter

gainly likes this.
  5. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Thank you, very comprehensive, although I'm not sure how many people would agree that school produces enjoyment.