1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Misconceptions In Science

Discussion in 'Science' started by Apple101, Jul 7, 2016.

1. gainly

gainly Senior commenter

I should have said 1.1 km away, as 2.2 km would be the diameter on this scale.

You are of course quite right. The atomic diameter is the distance between adjacent nuclei and the electrons could indeed be anywhere. The term electron "orbitals" is I think confusing as it suggests it is similar to planets orbiting the sun. In fact the orbitals are mathematical functions which allow the probability of an electron being in a particular region to be calculated. For GCSE this would be too complicated for most students and the main thing is just to give some idea of the scale.

border_walker likes this.
  2. cariadwch

cariadwch Established commenter

gainly likes this.
  3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

cariadwch likes this.
  4. gainly

gainly Senior commenter

5. djrfleet

djrfleet New commenter

... defaecating is excretion ...

6. border_walker

border_walker Established commenter

Partly it is.

7. BW12345

BW12345 Lead commenter

I'm slightly troubled by some of the misconceptions teachers have, as revealed in this thread when correcting others!
    o_Oo_Oo_O

There are some nice refinements though;)

8. Monikas72

Monikas72 New commenter

Plants respire only at night.
    Heavier objects fall faster.
    In order to go with steady speed the driving force (forward) needs to be larger that the drag forces.

9. BW12345

BW12345 Lead commenter

That's silly, plants only perspire in the daytime and they retire at night....

phlogiston likes this.
  10. BW12345

BW12345 Lead commenter

When you pass a beam of light through water, it accelerates when it comes out.

Deionised water doesn't have any ions in it.

If you jump out of an aeroplane, at the moment you open your parachute you shoot upwards.

Rivers have memory

Crystals have energy

11. BW12345

BW12345 Lead commenter

Girls have larger brains than boys
    Boys have smaller brains because they are more dense.

You can look for a gas escape with no danger if you use a safety match.
    Turning the lights off is ok if there's a smell of gas, you just mustn't turn them on.

12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I had a head of science tell me that heavy objects fall faster! When I tried to put him straight he told me that as I was "only a chemist" he wasn't convinced. I later found out he was a PE teacher who somehow found himself HoS!

13. gainly

gainly Senior commenter

Of course the problem is, air resistance means that often heavier objects actually do fall faster. I doubt if the PE teacher would understand the reason why.

topquark and blazer like this.
  14. BCCHEM

BCCHEM New commenter

What about all men having beard? Does it mean after puberty boys go back to have ancestral gene! Obviously this is not true but to bring humour in the classroom can we say such things when the boys display their boisterous behaviour?

15. gainly

gainly Senior commenter

A common misconception is that freezing kills bacteria. Some people have suggested that putting jeans in the freezer means there is no need to wash them.

16. BW12345

BW12345 Lead commenter

No silly, you put your jeans socks and underwear in the MICROWAVE so you don't have to wash them.

Hot air from a coal fire expands as it goes up a chimney.

17. gainly

gainly Senior commenter

Microwaving is an effective way of sterilising kitchen sponges, provided they are wet. Of course it is the heat that kills the bacteria not the microwaves.

18. BW12345

BW12345 Lead commenter

Yes. Must be good for sweaty undies then :)

19. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

I am guessing you meant to say the moon does have gravity. BTW it's better not to have music play automatically on your website, it is really obtrusive. There is a reason large companies don't do it (plus it made me have a flashback to the early millennium and MySpace pages)