1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Misconceptions In Science

Discussion in 'Science' started by Apple101, Jul 7, 2016.

1. percestyler

percestyler New commenter

install likes this.
  2. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

KS2 7+ Homework Helpers Science by Autumn Publishing ( £1 from £ shop) over simplifies some things and gives poor /wrong info.

E.g. Science dictionary:- astronauts experience 'weightlessness' in atmospheres that have no gravity.
    The Earth and the Moon both move in an anti-clockwise direction.
    Plastic is flexible and can be moulded.
    Stone is strong, hard.

BW12345 and install like this.
  3. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

*lol*

I've been able to stick my finger into, and wiggle it about a bit too, a nicely manked up granite on a field trip.

4. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Sorry - I have read and reread this but I still do not understand what it means.

5. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

You can't do that to granites, this one was very manky and I could stick my finger in it wiggle it around because it was badly weathered.

6. miss charlie

miss charlie New commenter

The vagina is what can be seen on the outside.....<facepalm>

The penis goes into the womb.

Mass & Weight are the same.

barclayfox likes this.
  7. miss charlie

There's no electrons in a wire until you turn on the power and also that a circuit must have a switch to work.

8. wanet

wanet Star commenter

The problem with this is that for most people they are.

9. miss charlie

Darn tootin.

So many things woven into common language that we have to unpick!

10. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Indeed the device used to determine mass is usually a top-pan balance/bathroom scale/kitchen scales and all of them work by measuring force rather than mass! And the spring-loaded forcemeters used in school science are very close relatives of the little gadgets you can buy to measure the "weight" of your luggage before you get to the airport. Nightmare to explain.

11. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

One more muddle on terminology: nitrifying bacteria do the opposite of denitrifying bacteria. Would make sense by the wording but the science says not.If only whoever coined these technical terms had thought them through!

12. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

At GCSE stage, the descriptions on offer of the function of the myelin sheath seem barely true, rather than oversimplified. Insulation isn't really true, it's the lack of permeability to ions that's important. Many pupils seem to think it's mainly protective, but the function is surely to promote saltatory and therefore rapid conduction of an impulse.

rabbittchild and Moony like this.
  13. miss charlie

I recently taught saltatory conduction to my A-Level group.

They were not blown away by my massively excited leaping around trying to make them realise that the entirety of human consciousness if you look at it in a reductionist manner is down to movement of ions across cell membranes.

They liked to giggle at the Schwann Cells.

They think Schwann sounded funny if you say it over and over again.

*smh*

rabbittchild and Moony like this.
  14. Doug1943

Doug1943 New commenter

The astronauts in the International Space Station are weightless - but not massless - in the exact same sense that someone who is skydiving is weightless after they leave the airplane. That is, if they had a bathroom scales with them, they could not weigh themselves with it. They are in free fall. (A common misconception is that they are too far above the Earth to experience its gravity. However, if you had a tower at the same height as the space station (about 250 miles), and stood at the top, your weight would be about 90% of your surface weight.)

15. Doug1943

Doug1943 New commenter

Gravity does pull more on heavy things, but heavy things resist being accelerated more. Something is accelerated by gravity in direct proportion to the gravitational force on it, and in inverse proportion to its mass. (A = F/M). Thus both heavy and light things, if we neglect air resistance, fall at the same speed.

16. Doug1943

Doug1943 New commenter

"Language Reform" suffers from being considered the domain of cranks, unless it's in the cause of degenderizing pronouns, but ... why don't all science teachers start using 'mass' as a verb? "This object weighs 9.8 Newtons on the Earth's surface, and masses at 1 kilogram".

17. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

I sort-of agree. The phrase "determine the mass" is in use, though not as commonly as perhaps it should be.

18. captain scarlet

captain scarlet Established commenter

I believe that the horeshoe crab has blue blood, based on copper, not iron

19. captain scarlet

captain scarlet Established commenter

Well, don't know about you, but I thought the answer was 42!

Moony likes this.
  20. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I knew that! Actually many species of crab have blue blood.