1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Misconceptions In Science

Discussion in 'Science' started by Apple101, Jul 7, 2016.

1. wanet

wanet Star commenter

When i taught science - I taught both.

Moony likes this.
  2. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

Back to the primary colours...I think the Art version is just wrong! The correct set of primary colours for mixing inks/paints/dyes is cyan/magenta/yellow; these are complementary colours to those for light (RGB) and they are the colours used in printers to give the full(est) colour range.

Red/blue/yellow gives a good approximation, but can't give as big a colour range as C/M/Y.

Mark

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  3. NewToTeachingOldToMaths

NewToTeachingOldToMaths Lead commenter

Good point, Mark!

I've always felt that when teaching this, our physics teachers should also have exploded the "7 colours of the rainbow" nonsense.

Once you understand the physics it is clear that a rainbow has but 5 colours: Red, yellow, green, cyan and blue!

4. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

I've generally pick up on the '7' colours thing when I teach light.

wanet likes this.
  5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

But then I wouldn't be able to use the
    Virgin In Bed Get Your Organ Ready!

Moony likes this.
  6. wanet

wanet Star commenter

[​IMG]

Moony likes this.
  7. Apple101

Apple101 Occasional commenter

8. Jigsaw33

Jigsaw33 New commenter

Respiring means breathing...or sweating!

9. Apple101

The sun is yellow. The sun is actually white it just appears yellow when low in the sky and the other colours ade filtered out by the atmosphere.

The North Star is the brightest in the sky. It's nowhere near.

On a dark night you can make out millions of stars......you can make out thousands.

Days get longer in summer and shorter in winter. 21st June is the longest day and first day of summer so actually get shorter.

10. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

But surely a lot of those 'stars' you can see on a dark night are actually galaxies of hundreds of thousands of stars each... therefore you can see millions!

11. Apple101

True I guess it refers to distinct objects you can physically see rather than what is contained in them. We can't see them because the collective light obstructs them from being seen individually.

I guess it depends how this one is worded but the conventional way is that you are seeing millions of individual stars which you are not.

12. CheeseMongler

Yeah, I think the point of the misconception is that students (and a lot of adults!) think that they can appreciate what a million is. Of course we can understand very big (or small) numbers in a mathematical sense, but our biological brains can't really understand what they mean.

13. Hoppersphysics

Hoppersphysics New commenter

If things have a low density they are light..... drives me mad. Does Jupiter have more mass than earth? Yes. Which planet is denser.....

14. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Earth, but if that's how someone is explaining density then they're explaining it badly.

15. physicsftw

physicsftw New commenter

Hot air doesnt rise, heat moves from hot to cold it follows the temperature gradient so can move left, right, up, down wherever, as the post below states it is merely that due to the increased internal energy that it increases its potential and spreads out and hence is less dense and therefore rises.

16. proteomicscr

proteomicscr New commenter

Some misconceptions I've seen:

The genetic material of the creature is DNA

Can this one be counted?

Would like to know your ideas!

17. lorry58880

lorry58880 New commenter

Good thread! Here's my question: it is said that people of alkaline constitution are less likely to suffer from cancer. Is there any scientific proof for this?

18. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Well....what is alkaline constitution, please? The link is irrelevant, I suspect. Remember that the homeostatic mechanisms of the body maintain blood plasma and tissue fluid at very precise pH and these are not disturbed significantly by, for example, dietary changes.
    There is plenty of evidence that cancer is multi-factorial; genetics plays a part, as does environment, and indeed chance. But if you can tell us what an alkaline constitution is, we might be able to move this discussion forward.

19. CheeseMongler

Thanks for raising this outrageous misconception. Complete and utter bullsh*t. There is no scientific proof as we all have an alkaline constitution (... constitution? is it the 19th century?); if anyone's blood pH was acidic (below 6.8) their cells would die and so not become cancerous. I suppose this means that actually an acidic "constitution" will completely prevent cancer, it just has the side effect of killing you.

Moony likes this.
  20. CheeseMongler

I don't see that as a misconception. Slightly inaccurate; the genetic material of the creature is made of DNA, but otherwise seems fine.