1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Misconceptions in KS1 for Science

Discussion in 'Primary' started by gummy.bear, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Hii,

I was just wondering if anyone could possible help me? I am trying to research children's misconceptions about Light in KS1 and am finding it very hard. The only one I seem to have found is 'the moon is a source of light.' I would very much appreciate if anyone had any misconceptions that they could share as it would be very helpful indeed!!

Amber x[​IMG]

2. quietlydetermined

quietlydetermined New commenter

That shiny/reflective/white objects can be seen in the dark.

3. char2505

char2505 New commenter

That shiny things make light. That flourescent or light in tone colours do the same. That dark can be produced, as opposed to being an absence of light. Lack of knowledge that we cannot see without light (cos kids can see at night as not totally dark).
    A kid in my class last year (Y1) when I commented on how much of his reading book he had read, told me how all of a sudden he could read in his bedroom at night when his light was off. Thought it was something to do with his eyes rather than longer summer daylight hours. Bless!

4. Aww thank you for your help!!! [​IMG]

5. Hi there,

I just came across this post. I was wondering If you have any literature to support these misconceptions, as i am also trying to do this for an assignment. any help would be great.

tara x

6. List of key ones on this website from the Apple Mac study.

http://homepage.mac.com/vtalsma/syllabi/2943/handouts/misconcept.html#light

And...
    1. Addressing children’s alternative frameworks of the moons phases and eclipses.
    International Journal of Science Education, August 2002, vol. 24, no. 8, p. 859-879, ISSN: 0950-0693.
    Barnett-Michael, Morran-Judy.
    2. Children’s misconceptions in primary science: a survey of teachers views.
    Research in Science and Technological Education, May 2001, vol. 19, no. 1, p. 79-96, ISSN: 0263-5143.
    St-John-Kate, Pine-Karen-J, Messer-David-J.
    3. There’s more to light than meets the eye!.
    Primary Science Review, September 2000, no. 64, p. 20-22, ISSN: 0269-2465.
    Harlen-Wynne.
    4. Primary trainee teachers learning and teaching about light: some pedagogic implications for initial teacher training.
    International Journal of Science Education, October 2005, vol. 27, no. 12, p. 1447-1475, ISSN: 0950-0693.
    Heywood-Dave.
    5. Children’s ideas on light and vision.
    International Journal of Science Education, September 1996, vol. 18, no. 6, p. 713-723, ISSN: 0950-0693.
    Selley-Nick-J.
    6. Young childrens (7-11) ideas about light and their development.
    International Journal of Science Education, January 1993, vol. 15, no. 1, p. 83-93, ISSN: 0950-0693.
    Osborne-Jonathan-F.
    7. Can you see?
    Primary Science Review, May 2006, no. 93, p. 8-10, ISSN: 0269-2465.
    OKane-Brian, Peacock-Alan.
    8. Keeping children in the dark will help them see!.
    Primary Science Review, April 1996, no. 42, p. 21-23, ISSN: 0269-2465.
    Coates-David.
    9. How do we see? teaching children the scientific model of vision.
    School Science Review, September 1994, vol. 76, no. 274, p. 113-116, ISSN: 0036-6811.
    Millar-Robin, Whitworth-Gwen.
    10. What children bring to light : a constructivist perspective on children's learning in science
    Shapiro, Bonnie L., 1994
    11. Light
    Harlen, Wynne., 1990
    (SPACE project report)

7. Thanks so much for this post - it's really helped with my assignment!!

Am struggling to access the Primary Science Review - how did you get onto this please?

Also are there any e books available for Shapiro (number 10) and Harlen (number 11)