1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mis-heard Song Lyrics ... a bit of a relief

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Oct 10, 2010.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Try listening to 6music - it's a lovely mixture and the Djs are mostly good - particularly the women.

2. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Madonna, La Isla Bonita:

Young girl with eyes like the desert

I always heard it as "Young girl, with eyes like potatoes...."

3. I thought it was 'eyes like pesetas' until just now. [​IMG]

4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

You also seem to mis-hear 'guilty' as 'innocent', sarah ....

5. ?

6. Can I second the ? and add ????
    No idea what you mean, hbf.

7. got it Sarah

HBF was making an obscure ref to the ********** thread

No idea why

8. Me neither. I was told at work that he had been found innocent (I work in secondary so don't really pay much attention) so I asked whether it was true. Didn't I?

9. harsh-but-fair

10. harsh-but-fair

Sorry to divert your thread - Did you know mis-heard lyrics are known as mondegreens?

11. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

We'll be eating those tomorrow.

12. i don't get any of them either [​IMG]

13. s'ok

no I didn't, thanks

x

14. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

That must be a really common one to mishear. I always heard it as 'he is the Lord of the dance settee', and wondered what a dance settee was, as we had a settee but not a dance one.
    The other religous one I always mis-heard was 'And as we worship, build a throne.' I always heard this as 'and as we worship, Hilda throne.' Cue many long years of wondering who Hilda was and why she had a throne.
    Another that makes me laugh is a very confusing conversation between myself a friend who was very indignant that meatloaf was crushing birds, and he should show more responsibilty han o include lyrics like that in his songs. Needless to say it wasn't crushing birds, but' they say he crashed and burned, I know I'll never know, why any boy should die so young.' Very confused. :)

15. I may have added this one to the old thread but I always thought 'Shoot that pointed arrow' was 'Shoot that Bobby Davro'. I have a particularly dizzy friend who, as a child, HONESTLY thought that the line 'why, why, why, Delilah?' was 'wide, wide, wide vagina'. I kid you not, tee hee!

16. Arrrgh - sorry, I mean 'shoot that poisoned arrow!'. Monday mornings...

17. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

That's exactly what I thought it was and laughed that people thought it sounded like potatos!
    I always thought You Got the Love by Source said: 'Sometimes I feel like throwing my pants up in the air' until I was corrected several years later...

18. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Established commenter

I can't think of one at the mo. but someone else might...

19. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I still hear Alison Moyet singing that she's tall and overgrown with fleas....................