1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

mis-heard lyrics

Discussion in 'Personal' started by seren_dipity, Nov 19, 2005.

1. At the grand old age of 7 I got grounded for a week for calling my Mum stupid for not believing me that the lyrics to Go tell it on the Mountain over the hills and everywhere where in fact

'There are no tellies on the mountsins, over the hills or anywhere'!

Made perfect sense to me!

2. The best one I ever tracked down on the web was from Bohemian Rhapsody-

"Beelzebub has a devil in the sideboard, me!"

3. I am loving this thread!!! It's fantastic!

4. I think they do actually sing this:

Gimme gimme gimme - Fried Chicken

(Queen, One Vision)

5. My sister (Aged 19!) Still thinks the end of row, row, row your boat goes " Merrily merrily merrily merrily like a submarine!"

6. I love this!!!

Oh yeah I used to think that Alanis Morisette sand it's a black road partner two minutes too late... LOL

And being an avid Britney spears fan i can't believe i thought it was 'Your toxic gun slipping up' as opposed to 'You're toxic I'm slipping under'!!!!

Did anybody do that thing as a kid where when you didn't know the words you would make up your own random words and language!!!???

7. I always thought that ABBA were singing about a popular supermarket chain in Super Trouper:

"I was sick and tired of everything
    When I called you last night from Tescos"

It is actually

"I was sick and tired of everything
    When I called you last night from Glasgow"

8. Not really a misheard lyric - more me misunderstanding a song: I heard MacArthur Park this morning for the first time in donkeys years - as a child I thought it was about cakes....I also used to wonder just how wet the cake was and that if it was only a bit wet then they were making a lot of fuss about it.

9. Lisa DJ - "My brother sang
    "Every time you go away, you take a piece of MEAT with you"
    (Paul Young song)"...

That's funny cos my brother used to sing "...you take a piece of CAKE with you!" He is the king of mishearing lyics though. We tried submitting them to kissthisguy.com once, not sure if any are up. Other classic mishears of his include:

At beginning of Take a Chance on Me (abba) " Jackie Chan Jackie Chan Jackie Chan Chan etc"

Michael Jackson's Smooth Criminal - chorus according to my brother, is "hedge-a-diddy-wonky" (?!) not "Annie are you ok?"

Pass the Dutchie was "Pass the cupboard on the left hand side."

Foo Fighters song, "My Hero" has a line "there goes my hero, he's ordinary," which my brother argued for weeks was "there goes my hero, he's old and hairy."

There's been loads over the years and I bet I'll think of more once I've posted this, but the worst misheard lyric story I've heard was the elder sister of a friend of mine, who, aged 6, gave an impromptu rendition of "Top of the World" (Karen Carpenter if I'm not mistaken) to a group of Daddy's very important doctor friends, singing "I'm on top of the world and looking down on the Asians.." :(

10. my sister thought brim full of asha by corner shop went:

brim full of asha and the sporty spice!

I dont know where she got it from.

11. ...Oh yeah, Britney Spears...

"I'm stronger than nescafe..."

(Should be "I'm stronger than yesterday")

12. Who could forget Alison Moyet singing, 'I'm tall and overgrown with fleas'?

13. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Thrilled to know I wasn't on my own!

that damp settee has competition - I'm now giggling over:
    88  |  Posted by:  heather220  at  22 Nov 2005 17:34

There's been loads over the years and I bet I'll think of more once I've posted this, but the worst misheard lyric story I've heard was the elder sister of a friend of mine, who, aged 6, gave an impromptu rendition of "Top of the World" (Karen Carpenter if I'm not mistaken) to a group of Daddy's very important doctor friends, singing "I'm on top of the world and looking down on the Asians.." :(

scrub the :( - it's definitely a :) - I (rather sadly) love that song and it'll never be the same now!

14. celebrity_gossip_fan

celebrity_gossip_fan New commenter

I was unshakable in the beleive that Roberta Flack was singing "Tonight, I sellotape my glove for you".

Also - quite fantastically - I heard Meatloaf singing "I'm a Cilla Black fan on a bike, I'll be gone when the morning comes." Sadly, the genuine lyrics ("on my black phantom bike") fail to conjure the same visual image.

15. celebrity_gossip_fan

celebrity_gossip_fan New commenter

16. Rolf Harris and the kangaroo song;
    Tastette One says - and he is adamant- it is 'Time to kangaroo down, sport',
    and the youngest one says it is:
    'Tiny Kangaroo down'

17. It *is* about cakes isn't it??

keyboard tapper at 22 Nov 2005 16:54

Not really a misheard lyric - more me misunderstanding a song: I heard MacArthur Park this morning for the first time in donkeys years - as a child I thought it was about cakes....I also used to wonder just how wet the cake was and that if it was only a bit wet then they were making a lot of fuss about it.

18. When I was at primary school I used to think God's name was Harold. Every morning in assembly we used to collectively say:

Our father who art in Heaven
    Harold be thy name...

19. When I was 12 years old I used to go around singing Maria McKee's 'Show Me Heaven':

"Woah-oh -oh, show me heaven, cover me, leave me pregnant...."

(should be "leave me BREATHLESS" at the end!)

20. Kate Bush

"Heathcliff, it's me I'm Caffine I'm so homeless"

Toni Braxton "Sage and Onion, Sage and Onion"
    instead of say you love me!