1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

mis-heard lyrics

Discussion in 'Personal' started by seren_dipity, Nov 19, 2005.

1. MrPuss

MrPuss New commenter

Seren_dipity np, enjoy!
    The title of the website is from the misheard Jimi Hendrix lyric "'Scuse me while I kiss this guy!"

2. dobby

dobby New commenter

my mum nearly weed herself when i asked what a 'day -night' was.
    as in Boney M's brwon girl inthe ring "i remember once at a day-night"
    after about half an hour she explained it was 'one Saturday night'.
    bum - i thought it was some kind of cool club that you could go to when you were older!

3. love this and the website. Laughed lots for first time in a long time. thank-you

thought 'you'll never walk alone ' was you'll never walk again til a friend pointed out my mistake.

4. "Beelzebub has a devil for a sideboard . . ."

Oh, and the Madonna potatoes one too.

Prohbably more but I can't remember them.

5. My son loved the Supremes classic...stop in the neighbourhood.

6. We have convinced Lads minor that her "ears are alight" we are now working on her refusal to accept that "I can see Claire now that Lorraine has gone"

I still beleiev that ABBA "called you last night from Tescos" ... if not then where?

7. MrPuss

MrPuss New commenter

There was a spate of these in my youth...
    The Police singing about Sue Lawley and
    The Jam's Eating Trifles

8. LOL. I loved eating trifles.

9. MrPuss

MrPuss New commenter

I seem to remember Bonnie Tyler (was it?) having a Hard Egg.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Think that we should explain for the youngsters that Bonnie was, in fact, singing 'It's a heart ache'!
    (I'm whispering this so no-one hears me - Noel Edmunds used to do this on the radio!)

11. MrPuss

MrPuss New commenter

OMG! I'm turning into Noel... shoot me now please!

12. better than turning into Mr Blobby at any rate mr Puss!

13. Mr C thought that a song from the mid 90's I think went 'Oh Disco chop you know you're gonna be mine'
    rather than the real 'why waste your time....' He did think there was something odd about a disco chop but it didn't stop his singing it.

14. i used to hear the 'big boys don't cry' bit of i'm not in love wrong every time. but just listened to it now to try and remember what I heard and can only hear the right words now. maybe it's just the very young and the very old that hear them wrong!!!

15. re: post 15, I think, and the Weather Girls 'It's Raining Men' (surely one of the best records of all time?), it was only last week that I heard 'according to all sources, the streets the place to go' instead of 'Sweden's the place to go'. I much prefer my version 'cos Sweden IS a lovely place.

16. My elderely aunt was given a teddy bear which had cross eyes. She had not named it when she came home from chapel one Sunday and declared she had a name "Willingly". When asked why she replied,
    "We sang a hymn today, Willingly thy cross I'd bear"

My friends had two small boys who, on being told they were going to Devon on holiday said " Oh good. we will be able to see grandma"

Grandma had died earlier that year and they had been told she had gone to heaven (Devon?)

17. At Infant school, we used to sing the hymn 'Walk in the light' - I was convinced it was called 'Walk KINDER light' - and was related to the (then relatively new to the UK) Kinder chocolate brand!!!

I also used to hear the lyric 'You can dance, you can DIE' in ABBA's Dancing Queen... :( Ooops!

18. I always thought Fat Boy's 'I have to praise you like I should' was 'I have to pray you like my shoes'. Seemed feasible as I once had a housemate who dumped a boyfriend because she was embarrassed by his 'sad' trainers...

Have also heard of a young lad thinking 'Bind us together Lord' was actually 'bang us together hard'...

19. Don't know who sings it, but the words should be

when I'm, when I'm good and ready

I always thought it was

when I'm, when I'm oven-ready!

20. Another It's raining men" one. Heard of someone once who thought the lyric was Israeli Men!!!