1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

mis-heard lyrics

Discussion in 'Personal' started by seren_dipity, Nov 19, 2005.

1. It wasn't until I was about 9 and was given a hymn book for the first time that I finally realised that hot beveridges had nothing to do with Jesus:

Jesus loves me this I know
    For the bible tells me so
    We are weak but TEA is strong

So when one of my pupils asked for Rolling Richard Roll instead of Rolling River Roll I knew just how he felt.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

It wasn't until I was about 9 and was given a hymn book for the first time that I finally realised that hot beveridges had nothing to do with Jesus:

Jesus loves me this I know
    For the bible tells me so
    We are weak but TEA is strong

So when one of my pupils asked for Rolling Richard Roll instead of Rolling River Roll I knew just how he felt.

3. A favourite misheard lyric story of mine involves my elder sister gustiy singing alog with David Bowie- however her inbterpretation of the words differed slightly from bowies, to the extent that what she sang was "Ground control to Major Tom, your SON Is dead, there's something wrong..."

4. Huge apologioes for ghastly typos, please note the time of posting, ;)

5. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

My brother used to play the Macc lads, I always sang bill, bill the buffer bill,

The real lyrics where beer, beer, we want more beer !

6. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Lord of the Dance?

"Dance dance, wherever you may be

I am the Lord of the damp settee"

This was contributed by a Yr 10 pupil in my last school.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

ILS - there's something about mis-heard lyrics in religious songs makes me laugh even more!!!!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

must be the time of night because I'm still laughing and the tears are pouring down my face!!!

9. Youngest Changette was heard to sing
    The little lord cheesy laid down his sweet head
    Away I'm so mangy.....
    Almost wish I hadn't corrected her

10. roverlei

roverlei New commenter

"Oh, pistachio!".

Rolling Stones "Start Me Up".

11. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

In my school the lyrics of "Oh Jesus I Have Promised" caused a lot of confusion:

"My hope to follow Julie
    is in thy strength alone."

12. My childhood was misheard.

The one that stays with me was when someone died: eternal rest grant unto them, oh Lord, and let the petrol light shine upon them. I always envisaged the petrol light as shining in from a skylight to a dusty blue room. It presumably kept the dead happy, or at least quiet. They were lying in beds, and they never got up.

On a lighter, nebulously related, but nonetheless terrifying (at age 6) note, it is worthwhile reminding the local deity to 'forgive us our chess matches, as we forgive those who win chess matches against us'. This is especially important if your school prides itself on that sort of thing.

None of this was funny when I was a kid.

--Aidan

13. There are lyrics I cannot remember exactly how the original goes as I keep singing the mis-heard part

Its a chorus

I'm going to riot (or something similar)

I sing

I've got tourettes (no offence meant to anyone)

14. Prefab Sprout - King of rock and roll

"Hot dog, jumping frog, almond cookie"

It was only 3 months ago at the age of 24 I found out it was

"Hot dog, jumping frog, albuquerque"

He he

15. 'I'll wash your back for good', by Take That!

16. The brother of a friend of mine thought that The Weather Girls It's Raining Men said "it's raining bells." Really don't know how he got to that!

17. bacardibreezer

bacardibreezer New commenter

Madonna had a hit in the 80s - can't rememebr what it was called - but I was convinced that one line was: 'Young girl with eyes like potatoes'. (I think it should have been '... like the desert'.)

There are many more mis-heard lyrics, but I'm far too ashamed to admit to them!

18. Further to the Madonna one, same song, she says "Last night I slept with some ****"!!

Chris Rhea, "Drove all night, crapped in your room"

Abba, "Last night when I called you from Tesco"
    and "Chicken tikka tonight".

Will try to find the list as we used to do this in a radio show.

19. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

Oooh, ooh, me ears are alight

20. PurpleSapphire

PurpleSapphire New commenter

My brother sang
    "Every time you go away, you take a piece of MEAT with you"
    (Paul Young song).

I used to sing
    "Come on baby set me free, cos I'm guilty (guilty), guilty as a cocoa bean!"
    (Banarama).

Another La Isla Bonita one (Madonna)
    "Chocolatey the island breeze"