1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

mirena and bleeding

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Ruthie66, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

3 months ago I had a mirena coil fitted - this is my second, the first disappeared after about 3 months and no trace of it was ever found.
    While I haven't suffered the horribly heavy bleeding which I had prior to the insertion of the coil I have bled or spotted every day but 10 in the last 3 months. Sometimes it has been very light but when it is heavier it is just like a normal period.
    I know the Mirena takes a while to settle down but my question is this - is it normal to still be bleeding/spotting so much of the time 3 months down the line? Should I go and see the doctor?

2. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

3 months ago I had a mirena coil fitted - this is my second, the first disappeared after about 3 months and no trace of it was ever found.
    While I haven't suffered the horribly heavy bleeding which I had prior to the insertion of the coil I have bled or spotted every day but 10 in the last 3 months. Sometimes it has been very light but when it is heavier it is just like a normal period.
    I know the Mirena takes a while to settle down but my question is this - is it normal to still be bleeding/spotting so much of the time 3 months down the line? Should I go and see the doctor?

3. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

Get yourself to the doctor. A close friend of mine had the Mirena for around 3-4 months, and she had had enough of the spotting and irregular bleeding. Yours sounds very much like hers was.
    It may take longer than 3 months to settle, depending on each person and all that, but if you are concerned, then the doctor will know whats right and wrong
    Good luck
    B x

4. It can take up to six months to settle down. And for some women that does mean daily spotting for months until suddenly it clears up and the benefits for the next 4.5 years kick in.... Your gynae should have gone through this with you?

5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Yikes! [​IMG]
    When I had my mirena fitted I was told it could take up to 6 months to settle down. If I were you I'd go to my GP just to make sure all is ok.
    Am delighted with mine!

6. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

Thanks, they said it could take several months to settle down and the next option is a hysterectomy so I think I'll give it a bit longer then go and see the doc. I was hoping that I would have more gaps between the bleeding by now but maybe it will stop quite soon and I can start being delighted too.

7. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

Mirena update - it just came out! That's the second one. I started bleeding heavily a couple of weeks ago and I thought maybe I had lost this one so went to the docs - it was still there. She prescribed me norethisterone to stop the bleeding and has referred me back to the hospital. When the norethisterone stopped I started bleeding again quite heavily and this time the coli has come out too.
    Looks like a hysterectomy is on the cards now - not great timing as I have just got a new job but it can't be helped.

8. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

[​IMG]

9. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

indeed - I don't think I am suited to mirenas!