1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mircale Maker DVD - using it in class

Discussion in 'Primary' started by monkey1, Mar 3, 2011.

1. My class and I are presenting the Passion of Christ at the end of this term to the school. I am planning on having a week of literacy looking at the easter story - and the events of holy week and came across the dvd the mircale maker - which is an animated tale of Jesus's death and resurrrection - has anyone used this in class?!
    I want the children to understand the story and link with literacy and writing tasks before showing them the script that we will work from - want it to be more than just learning lines I want them to understand the story that they are acting.

Any ideas would be gratefully recieved.

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Get them to check the spelling of 'mircale'?

3. That's not very helpful! We all make typing mistakes.
    Any one got any ideas?

4. Not any practical help but might raise a smile.
    I had a really really grotty open plan area as my "classroom" a few years ago which had other classrooms and the toilets opening out onto it (leading me to constantly be bugged by KS2 boys wanting to let me know the loos were blocked mid-numeracy lesson but that's another story) and we were using this video (for we were prehistoric and not posh enough to have it on DVD) in class for something I've long-since forgotten the purpose of now.
    One of our more "lively" inmates comes mooching by on one of his periodic flounces from class, followed a few yards further behind by his TA. As usual, he turned to see what my lot were up to and if it warranted any of his attention/gatecrashing (how I loved this classroom!), looked at what was on the screen and helpfully informed everyone very loudly - "I've seen this one... he dies at the end."

5. flapfish

flapfish New commenter

I am using it at the moment with my Y1s and think it's a great resource, but not to be used alone. I tend to use a shortclip and build activities around it. Foe example, this week, we were looking at Palm Sunday. We atched a clip on IWB of people receiving palms in a church, then we watched the first part of that story up to the end of the triumphal entry into Jerusalem. After that we made palm branches and re-enacted that bit., Then we read from a book the next bit of the story and understood that not everyone liked Jesus and why. Then we remade the road scene and freeze framed the road schowing the range of emotions. I interviewed a few children and we took photos.

6. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide