1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Miracles of Jesus Resources - Year 9

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by WhistleDowntheWind, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Does anyone have anything suitable for a one off lesson on the miracle of the raising of Lazarus or the man born blind? Inspiration desperately needed to make this an engaging topic and to give the WOW factor in a faith school.

2. Does anyone have anything suitable for a one off lesson on the miracle of the raising of Lazarus or the man born blind? Inspiration desperately needed to make this an engaging topic and to give the WOW factor in a faith school.

3. Look on request. They have some good ideas.

4. I've created an info sheet about miracles - feeding of the 5000, walking on water and casting out demons. It's differentiated with pictures and keywords and stuff. If you post your email address I'll send it to you if you think it'd be useful. I got the students to write letters as if they were a bystander.

5. could you start by performing a simple- but amazing magic trick and then ask them how they felt, what it made them question, any theories etc.
    then do story of lazarus (miraclemaker- off the top of my head)
    highlight parallels, they could retell in some form but more importantly explain how on lookers/ religous leaders would have felt and feared etc
    ext- would you have arrested a man with this power?

6. Just uploaded a Lazarus powerpoint that might help you!
    Hope it works, my very first upload (aaah)

7. sorry, forgot to add - on restuff.co.uk (under KS3, Christianity/ miracles)

8. thebishop

thebishop New commenter

Taught a miracles lesson once during a job interview. I started with a very simple but efffective card trick. You take a pack of cards and put the 3 of diamonds at the top of the pack and the 2 of hearts at the bottom. Fan the pack to show that they are all different, but avoid showing the top and bottom card. You then take from the pack the 2 of diamonds and the 3 of hearts and ask 2 students to place the cards at random on the pack. Do you hocus pocus thing, and then by holding the pack very firmly in your hand trough the cards into a box or bin. The top and bottom card stay in your hands and when they see the 2 & 3, they assume it is the two cards that were put into the pack and not the ones you had placed there earlier. it takes practise, but leads to a really good conversation about what miracles are. Long winded I know, but hope that this helps.

9. Thankyou so much to all those who replied to my request - I really appreciate all your ideas and will certainly use them. The PPt is especially useful and hope to use it next week.

Sorry not to reply earlier but the server was acting up so I couldn't access the forum. Best wishes to all.

10. IMHO, the case of the raising of Lazarus was a parable mentioned by Jesus, considering that literal bodiry resurrection is against the only Scriptures that Jesus considered the Word of God. Resurrection, according to Judaismn, is metaphorical of God opening up the graves of the nations where the Jewish People has been sent to exile and bringing them back to the Land of Israel, according to Ezekiel 37:12.

11. I am sure everyone does this but I feel it is important to make it explicit - there needs to be a clear definition, perhaps defined by the pupils themselves, of what magic is, and what a miracle is and how they are different. Otherwise some less able children may pick up the message that Jesus did magic

12. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

I fully agree, Flame. I am quite uneasy with this approach.

When teaching about the miracles I have an 'overview' which can be useful -

Someone has a problem

The don't want the problem.

They think Jesus may be able to help solve the problem

They approach him in some way to ask for help.

Jesus becomes aware of this.

Jesus sometimes asks them what they want and they have to make it clear.

Jesus does something - which usually requires conscious effort and can leave him feeling quite drained. He is apparently using some kind of 'supernatural' power - something that transcends the ordinary physical laws. (This can be debated separately later.)

There is a positive result for the person who had the problem.

You can test out this 'overview' with a selection of miracles. (Do include some which are not easily 'explained away.')

After the New Year, when I am not staying with relatives as I am at the moment, (with a lot of family stuff to do and no access to my books and files) I will try to upload some resources related to this.
    Another thing I find very helpful is to set a research homework - in which the students have to ask five people from as wide a range of backgrounds as possible - what they think about miracles (The miracles of Jesus, miracles in their own daily lives, contemporary miracles and miracles in other religions.)

I think that in our secular, atheist/scientific society it is not 'cool' to take miracles seriously - but there is a lot of evidence for the existence of 'supernatural' powers at work in our world today - and a wealth of examples of miracles to be found in all the other religions. What is that quote from Shakespeare - Horatio I think 'there are many more things in life...'