1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Minor sentences - help please

Discussion in 'English' started by Honeydew, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Honeydew

Honeydew New commenter

Hope some of you experts can help me. Most of the definitions of a minor sentence state it does not contain a finite verb (although it can contain non-finite verbs). But is that strictly true? In some fictional writing, you can have minor sentences like 'She walked and walked. Walked. Walked for miles. Walked for days.' I have looked at lots of Grammar books but I'm struggling to understand how to define a minor sentence. Defintions and examples vary.

Can someone please help me get to grips with this? Cheers

2. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Good point.

The term was invented because it used to be said that sentences have to have finite verbs.

But this is patently untrue. Lots of "Fog everywhere" sentences!

And "non sentences" did not seem right. Your sentences are another form of what I would call "non-SV" sentences.

It's the terminology / definition that's poor (in my view).

3. Honeydew

Honeydew New commenter

Thanks for replying Markuss - much appreciated :). I'm trying to think of a way of defining a minor sentence and how it's used to create certain effects, but when I use the definition most Grammar books use, I get lost! These definitions don't seem to match with the examples I have found, and yet I know my examples are considered minor sentences. How would you define a minor sentence? I'd be grateful for some direction.

4. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

David Crystal's 'Rediscover Grammar' is invaluable for this kind of thing. Cheap paperback.

5. Clive_Candy

Clive_Candy Occasional commenter

FWIW and observing the KISS principle, I always tell my students a minor sentence is a sentence that does not contain a verb. Therefore, "Me!" is a minor sentence, for example.