1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Minor behaviour issues

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by helendavealex, Feb 2, 2018.

1. helendavealex

helendavealex New commenter

I recently joined a college to teach A levels and was told how great the students were. One of the first year groups are great, some lateness but I am told, by other staff, buses are a problem. My problem is the other group who have several students who want to mess about. It's nothing terrible but in spite of talking to, several have made no effort. I had to ask one to leave a lesson today as he was just disrupting it too much. It seems he has been to managers to claim I was picking on him. I have tried breaking the lesson down into easier steps, activities and praise and although most have responded well, there is still the episodes of silly behaviour. Can anyone suggest anything else I could try please? I know they are testing me as I am new but I thought after a month that they would have realised it won't work.

2. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

This is just 'normal' FE behaviour. Many of these students were simply not good enough to stay on at school an do A levels so they have ended up in FE. Some just don't want to be there anyway. Most of the dross will drop out at the end of this year or will mature by next September. Things will be better with the second year students. I assume most of these students will be taking AS soon. Not too long to go now. You could try pointing this out to them.

Vince_Ulam and pepper5 like this.
  3. Mattz1993

Mattz1993 New commenter

Sorry to hear that you're having some issues around behaviour -- whilst this could be considered to be normal FE behaviour, there is no reason why it should continue. Unfortunately, you've already passed the perfect point to set your expectations - which is when you first meet the group. That being said, you can still challenge their behaviours.

I would suggest that you try the following:
    a) Make your expectations clear "Matt, I expect you to listen when I am talking." Make your communication crystal clear (with the use of 'I expect'). If you try phrases like "Please don't talk over me." it is less assertive and is more optional.
    b) If the behaviour continues, challenge it again "Matt, I have told you I expect you to listen when I am talking. If I have to tell you again, I will have to contact your Personal Tutor." Reinforce your original expectation and provide a possible consequence.
    c) If the behaviour continues "Matt, I have told you twice, so I am submitting a concern to your Personal Tutor." Always follow up the threat.
    d) I would like to think that the behaviour would have stopped by now, but if it hasn't then I would suggest that you need to begin considering the intervention of your departments Curriculum/Team Lead or Senior Tutor (or Head of Behaviour/Pastoral Manager or whatever the equivalent is).

Without writing out a training programme, I hope this helps in some way!

Jen26 and sarahhendy like this.