1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ministers announce £230 million for new school buildings

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jan 26, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

It's like painting the Forth Bridge.

3. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

I know some of these schools and this investment is long overdue. They're falling to bits. Do pupils not have the right to be educated in a building that is waterproof and meets modern standards?

It's not the government's fault that the 60s and 70s architects and those procuring such contracts decided to build ugly, concrete schools with flat roofs.

4. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Averages £12m per school, which isn't really an awful lot.

5. davieee

davieee Occasional commenter

Its £230 over the next 4 years .

Also I know that the schools in my local authority that are included in this were due to be upgraded / renewed in any case so I dont know how much of this is additional funding.

My suspicion is that its basically a pre-election announcement to grab headlines.

6. gnulinux

gnulinux Occasional commenter

Timing is very suspicious indeed. Watch Sturgeon & co refer to 'new school building' endlessly while dodging questioning on the gross failure that CfE is. The SNP clearly think that the Scottish public are basically stupid and will swallow any old propaganda. 'new school building' is more about brick-laying than actually educating Scottish children.

7. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I wasn't suggesting we didn't need it. We need at least this and more.

Later architects have their flaws too. One of the most physically uncomfortable schools I worked in was a new build.

8. misterroy

misterroy New commenter

and what makes you think a new school is waterproof?

The conditions imposed upon councils are pretty poor. How about a council clerk of works having to give notice of an inspection and having to state what is going to be inspected?

9. Potatoes005

Potatoes005 Occasional commenter

The school where I retired from was rebuilt with th old building demolished.

It was for a school roll of 1300 and cost £32million.

So £230 million is all very good but at £12million per school it isn't enough.

They'll be getting £20million less of a school than my old one. Which is an utterly outstanding building and a true school of the future.

Throwing £230million at new school buildings may help distract some of the electorate from the facts: CFE has ruined Scottish Education, the system of declaring staff surplus and creating nonsense faculties, declining teacher numbers, stagnating teacher pay.

There are many more but a few new school buildings doesn't fix the problems of a broken system.

10. lescargot

lescargot Occasional commenter

Might be good to get some teachers to teach in them.....

11. MilkyBar Kid

MilkyBar Kid Occasional commenter

£230m doesn't go far these days, especially when the projects will go out to tender with the cheapest bid inevitably being chosen. Shiny new doesn't always lead to a better learning & teaching environment. I've been in some new schools with smaller classrooms, precious little storage, open plan 'learning zones', etc, etc, and I'd rather be in my current classroom with buckets for the leaky roof. I know of another school being built where the amount of parking spaces has been deliberately drastically reduced (a council initiative) to encourage staff to car share and use public transport. Could you carry a shed load of marking on the bus!

catmother likes this.
  12. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Indeed.

13. brothermunro

brothermunro Occasional commenter

As lescargot says teacher recruitment is a much bigger (and looming) problem, as is the whole curriculum/assessment mess.

£230 million over 4 years is the sort of figure I would've thought they were already spending, not some amazing new initiative. Too often new school buildings aren't designed by teachers (or their input ignored/dismissed) and are built on the cheap, or focus on flashy stuff but the classrooms are too small, or don't have staff rooms or there is no money for new equipment to go with the new building and so on.

I would've put the figure for revamping the school estate in Scotland at £1 billion minimum.