1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Minimum Temperatures for teaching PE

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by liquidchalk, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Does anyone know of the reccommended minimum temperature for teaching PE? Is there a temperature where we shouldn't be taking the kids out to do PE because it's too cold?

2. Does anyone know of the reccommended minimum temperature for teaching PE? Is there a temperature where we shouldn't be taking the kids out to do PE because it's too cold?

3. Aehm...when they freeze on the spot? When the field is so muddy, that they sink? When it's raining so hard, that we might get washed away? :)
    Don't know about any recommended temperatures, but I do tell mine to dress properly. They are allowed to wear their tracksuits, jumpers, gloves, hats, whatever...Their standard PE kit sometimes needs adding additional layers to it. Shorts and t-shirts outside in the snow? I'm not their mum, but even I wouldn't want them outside dressed like that.

4. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

I come from the old school where we used to do PE in shorts and T-shirts in freezing weather, or torrential rain (think KES only worse). We weren't alllowed to wear extra sweats or tracksuits, never mind gloves and hats.
    For Rugby they used to make us run down the field and dive/roll on the floor in the mud on the whistle.
    Children who complained of being cold were called woossies by the PE teacher.
    Whats was all that about!? What a load of **** .

5. We had Year 8's doing Orienteering this am. It was pretty cold.
    The majority of the boys were dressed appropriatly. 1 or 2 in shorts n polos!!!

I guess it comes down to common sense approach to H&S. As we then decided it was too cold to continue teaching the other groups out doors.

Exams = 1 indoor space!!!

Thanks TK

6. I remember going out in the freezing cold, frozen icy ground and barely able to breathe! now in the school I teach at they have a 'rule' that we can't teach if the temp goes below 3degrees...I have always wondered if this was an actual rule that I had missed seeing but I'm not sure if it's just my HOD making it up?
    We also have 1 indoor space which is now being used for xmas rehearsals so no practical PE for the next few days I guess!
    Keep wrapped up!!

7. We have had Junior kids crying this week, even when rugged up. I mean KS1 kiddies. I didn't do any throwing and catching, just lots of chasing games.
    My Year 10's asked to be outside for fitness this morning. They lasted 20 mins and that included push ups in the snow! Then we went inside and did some aerobics for the last 20 mins.
    Our astro and concrete courts are frozen and we have already had 4 fixtures cancelled this week. No trainings for netball and hockey!
    We take them outside depending on the age, number of kids and where we are teaching them. And obviously the attire they are wearing.
    Also, it depends on how long we have been outside all day. Period 7 & 8 are much more likely to be inside and doubled up than P3 & 4 as it us us who struggle after 3 double lessons outside and the propect of a 4th when the sun has completely gone rarely appeals!!!

8. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

A very cool 24 degrees in Cairo today - lovely [​IMG]

9. stopwatch

and a bone shaking 32 here in Dubai BBBrrrrrrrrrr [​IMG]

10. I thought a lot of this made us the characters that we are today. The 'us' of tomorrow are going to be a bunch of spoon fed, wrapped in cotton wool softies. I can't remember feeling cold weather when I was a kid. PE lessons or outside school. Rained/snowed in at break times for me/us was like being in jail!

11. stopwatch

May be so.
    The 'put up and shut up' approach certainly created a generation of people who didnt whinge so much about their lot, but also created a group who hated PE.
    I must say I like balance (and not just the gymnastic variety)
    I agree that the cotton wool **** has now created a generation who generally can't put up with much.
    Having said that, I saw a picture of a group of girls today in a snowy Newcastle centre. They were wearing national dress (boob tube, mini skirt, high heels). They didn't look like they were complaining.
    Yes, balance, I like balance.[​IMG]

12. Funny [​IMG]
    Even I wouldn't have the balls to wear that!

13. stopwatch

And what about maximum temperatures for teaching?
    We have a 40 degrees C/104 degrees F ruling that children cannot play outside at break.
    For PE we dont go out before Mid October or after End April, apart from swimming in the outdoor pool which is under shading.
    Scorchio!

14. If you are conforming to PE or BTEC teaching conditions or regulations, you should only teach the lesson outdoors if the temperature is above 276.0K (3.0C), as when the ice falls onto the ground overnight, the peaks in the mud become hard and if a child of any age between 7 and 12 would experience injury of some kind. If you are going to teach the lesson outdoors, you should only make the lesson training which does not require physical contact of any description.

If you have any questions about this response, please email me personally at :: jordanbell575@aim.com

15. You should not be teaching outdoors in these temperatures! Especially ks1, really? If ofsted were to inspect you at the time of your utter madness, you would get a bare level 7 in that sector.

16. Maybe so, but with no indoor space to move around and the kids being cooped up inside all day for 3 days, what would you suggest?
    20 mins (a shortened lesson) of constant running around (including me) helped keep us all sane.
    When I say they cried, mostly it was because they fell over and grazed themselves - mostly by now, I dont get too much more than a sniffle or few tears, but being that they are cold, tired and the end of term, it all just comes out.
    I appreciate that we shouldn't, but there is not much of another option!

17. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

My lot are dressed as if they are going to climb Mt Everest today as it's down to a chilly 19 degrees here in Cairo.
    Heating is on in school and the ACE Club has the calorgas things on in the garden

18. I want to know who Jordan Bell is. PM'd me the other day asking to be my friend.
    'Salesman' comes to mind. Is he?

19. Hah! Total tosh!

Our lot have pre/post lesson training - it ain't compulsory and they all make every second of that - the Academites had to explain to some angry parents why Little Johnny was being deprived of his elite coaching opportunities last week.
    But I couldn't get them to do their practical indoors without a whinge.... no, too cold to get changed it was - ah bless!

20. stopwatch

I have come back to UK for Christmas. It's snowing and flipping freeeeeezin!!!!
    There's no way my bones and joints would last a day in this weather these days.
    Better stay in Dubai......