1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Minimum lunch times

Discussion in 'Primary' started by caramel, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Hi, does anyone know if there is a minimum length to lunch times for key stage one and reception and where I can find it written to show the head. Thank you

2. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

I would have thought it was an hour.

3. We,ve had it cut to 3/4 of an hour . That,s why I want to check

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I don't think there is a minimum or maximum time however teachers are allowed a break of reasonable length.. whatever that means in reality.

5. bnm

bnm

All staff have to have a 30 min break every 6 hours, I believe.

6. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

Working time regulations specify a 30 minute break every 4.5 hours so I wouldn't print it to show the head if I were you! ;)

7. School Boy Error

In fact, I'm wrong! Here it is:
    So, still not good news for you.

8. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

this doesn't answer your question, but is interesting reading: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2007/nov/13/schools.uk2

9. pachamama

pachamama New commenter

Is that so you can cram another 15 mins of learning in? God bless our kids.
    Best get year 1's crcramming for their phonics test!! (Unless they've already done it - sorry am on mat leave. I am trying to stay away, but being on here is a bit addictive. What a saddo I am.[​IMG]

10. Msz

Msz Established commenter

A teacher who is required to be available for work for more than one school session on any school day must be allowed one break of reasonable length either between school sessions or between the hours of 12 noon and 2.00pm. Deputy Head Teachers, Assistant Head Teachers, Advanced Skills Teachers and Excellent Teachers are entitled to a break of reasonable length as near to the middle of each school day as is reasonably practicable.
    https://www.education.gov.uk/publications/eOrderingDownload/DFE-00072-2011.pdf

11. School Boy Error

I think they'll argue 45 minutes is classed a "break of reasonable length"

12. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

You don't have to have meetings in your lunch break. When we had a new head, she tried to do this and our union rep quoted whatever it was to her and they stopped.

Our head tried to stop us having afternoon break in year 1. Sorry but keeping 5 year olds inside learning for 2 hours is not a good idea. They love their playtime. But she also tried to stop us from having snacktime in the mornings too.

13. Primary schools I have worked have staggered lunch times with KS1 having 10-15 minutes longer than KS2 with their hour.
    All I can think of is do you have behaviour issues on the playground? I have come across that on supply where schools have cut down the length of lunch timesto reduce the risk of problems such as fighting.
    The KS1 teaching day, and therefore week, is shorter than KS2 by about an hour I think. No it's 2.5 hours shorter. See link below:
    http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/adminandfinance/schooladmin/schoolyear/a0064221/length-of-school-dayyear

Hope that helps. Good luck

14. I teach year 2 and we have a 40 minute lunch break - sometimes the children are late back to class because they have not finished their lunch at the end of the lunchbreak.

15. Thank you for your replies but cinnamon square is right. I am not so concerned about my break but the length of time the children get for lunch and a play. Some year r children are hardly getting outside before the bell goes.