1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Minimum experience for Deputy Head

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by Imp72, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Can a person spec say that it is essential to have a minimum time for being qualified as a teacher before being considered for the post? I would have thought that this was a from of discrimination. Your thoughts appreciated.

2. Can a person spec say that it is essential to have a minimum time for being qualified as a teacher before being considered for the post? I would have thought that this was a from of discrimination. Your thoughts appreciated.

3. I do not think it is unreasonable to suggest that a certain level of experience is needed to fulfil the role. Are you seriously suggesting that an NQT could go straight into being a DHT without first having had some experience in schools professionally rather than on teaching practice?

4. Never mentioned being an NQT. The post states minimum of 4 yrs.

5. How big is the school? What sector is it? The reason I brought up the NQT bit is that if a limit is not put in place it leaves it open to anyone apply - you cannot have it both ways - any limit is either discriminatory or not - I would say a school can choose how much experience it feels is needed to do the job in their school. Most DHT jobs require between 3 and 5 years as a guide in my experience.

6. Primary with <150 pupils. I have 3 years and have had positive soundings about post from school. Then read person spec and it stated min of 4 years. Gutted that a person with another years experience is deemed more suitable!

7. I can see your point. Is it not worth speaking to HT or member of Govs about it to see why they settled on 4. That said I wouldn't necessarily let that put you off anyway. It very much depends how many people apply and it is only one of the criteria so may not take much effect if your overall application is strong which sounds like it might be.

8. You can always apply. However, you may find that many of the DHT specs say around 4-5 years. There is something that does come with experience no matter how good you are. I have seen "young" (in experience not just in age) teachers become DHT and just were not able to have the clout to back up what they were doing and lost credit with the staff. Even now that I am well into the double digits in teaching experience, I have older teachers consider me that "young thing with grand ideas"!

Maybe look at some Assistant Headships. That may be a way to gain more experience all the way around.

9. Sorry summertime but I have to disagree. Age is no bearer of experience. It is far more about the actual experience a person can prove. As someone in the middle phase who became HOY at 27 (on SLT) DHT at 31 and HT at 37 I have had 'You look/are too young' thing levelled all throughout my career. However, I was fortunate that all my schools provided me with the experience needed to move on. My old HT said to me he was DHT in two schools. One where he learned loads and one where he was appointed to become Y6 football coach - he left PDQ! It is about what you have proven to do not just how long you have 'apparently' been doing it.

10. Thanks for that-may they still overlook it despite the fact it is essential and not desirable?

11. That depends whether it becomes the tie breaker for any applications. They should score every application in the same way based against the person spec. Therefore it would only be an issue if other applications were equally as high scoring as yours overall. If you state something along the lines of 3 yrs experience and this has included x, y, z etc etc. and include your youth and energy then you are removing it as a barrier and turning it into a strength - come on, pick me because I'm young, able and want to do it!!!!

12. Is 35 young? I would emphasise my life experience which is wide-ranging. Thanks for your words and advice which have inspired me to apply!!

13. Good grief no! And use all of your extra experience outside of school as evidence of your capability to do the job!

Happy to read any letter if you want:

madphil1@hotmail.co.uk

Go for it!

14. Thanks madphil. May well get in touch

15. maphil,

If you look at my response I did say "young" in experience not in age. I think that 4 years experience is NOT too much to ask for a DHT job. If that is the road you want to follow, then one more year building experience is not too much to ask. I have no problems the ages you became the various parts of leadership. To me honest, I am not far off the ages you quote. But, I DO know that I have a lot more credit NOW than when I had only been teaching 3 years because I can pull for a knowledge base that I wouldn't have at that time in my career.

In the school I am in NOW, they would NEVER listen to a person with so little teaching experience. There are some FAB younger in career teachers "

16. surely it's difficult to generalise? Each teacher aspiring to DHT will have had different experiences in their previous schools. Some may have had a huge responsibility, taken on leadership roles and gained the skills necessary to be a successful DHT in a short period of time. Others may have been teaching much longer and not had the exposure to situations whereby they could develop their leadership skills to the extent expected.

17. Which was precisely my point Sparkly!

18. Sorry, but how on earth can anyone who has been teaching for just three or four years possibly have the breadth of experience necessary to (potentially) run a school effectively? Surely the minimum needed is to have taught in both key stages, have some experience in foundation stage, and plenty of experience in people management?

To be effective either as a head or a deputy, you need to be able to say "I've been there, done that, and it works".

(puts old grumpy hat on) One of the major problems with education today is inexperienced managers who push through their big ideas, without first of all making damn sure a) that they work and b) that they will have a long term benefit to the children (which includes NOT having a detrimental affect on the health and well-being of the staff).

Sorry for rant, but I have very recent experience of a bad appointment of a (too) young head causing havoc within a school.

19. starlightexpress

starlightexpress New commenter

I think that there should be minimum of 5 years teaching experience to be a Deputy. I was always told I'd be an 'experienced' teacher after 5 years and I joked I was when I reached this point.

I think to lead most effectively you've got to have taught for at least 4 years post NQT year. I also think cross phase experience is beneficial and experience of leading a core subject and people is an essential.

I balk at thought of a Deputy who has only taught one year group or even one KS (primary). Certainly if they have only Infant or Junior experience and wish to go to a primary, they need to acknowledge limitations and the leadership team needs to have mixed experience in order to balance out and to play on peoples' strengths. Then it's a learning experience for all and from each other.

Overall I think you need experience to say "I've tried this, it worked", and also the humility to wish to learn more and try new things which may work just as effectively.

20. Yes, agreed.