1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Minibuses

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by jonnyb112, Jul 19, 2012.

1. jonnyb112

jonnyb112 New commenter

My whole pe department have been driving two 16 seat minibuses for the last two years. None of us have the required licence to do so. However the school state (and I have questioned it many times) that if you have held a clean normal drivers licence for two years, we can use the buses. I have looked on the dvla and it is somewhat of a grey area. The school say they have insurance that covers us in any case but it still concerns me regarding the lives we are in charge of.

Does anyone else have an experience like this?

2. jonnyb112

jonnyb112 New commenter

My whole pe department have been driving two 16 seat minibuses for the last two years. None of us have the required licence to do so. However the school state (and I have questioned it many times) that if you have held a clean normal drivers licence for two years, we can use the buses. I have looked on the dvla and it is somewhat of a grey area. The school say they have insurance that covers us in any case but it still concerns me regarding the lives we are in charge of.

Does anyone else have an experience like this?

3. You need to check when the staff passed their driving test as that that will determine whether they can drive the bus or not. If you passed your test before 1997 you can drive a 17 seater (including the driver). If you passed your test after 1997 you can only drive a 16 seater. You can refuse to drive a school minibus. A lot of LEAs recommend you have MIDAS training before driving a school minibus. It is not good enough for the school to say they have insurance as THE DRIVER (i.e. the teacher driving) is responsible for passengers' safety . You need to know which checks to carry out before starting a journey. I'm sure the NASUWT recommend that teachers shouldn't drive minibuses without MIDAS training.

4. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Do the following:
    1. Ask to see a copy of the school insurance which is supposed to 'cover' you for this.
    2. Check with your local education authority what theur standpoint is on this.
    3. Ask for a formal letter from the school stating/confirming that they authorise you to drive the school and that you are covered under school insurance.
    If you are not happy with any of the responses to 1 to 3, then ask to be put on a minibus driving course and state that you are unwilling to drive the minibus unti you have passed such a course/test.
    An employer cannot instruct you to do something which is illegal or is unsafe/puts children's lives at risk.

5. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Good answer Daisyhorse [​IMG]

6. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

And if you have a crash while driving the school mini bus, it can affect your insurance on your private car [​IMG]