1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Minibeast topic - anyone made wormery, bought butterfly kits?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by teachermiss, May 28, 2011.

1. Hello, as part of this topic, I was wondering if anyone had made a wormery before and could offer any advice/tips? In addition, has anyone bought any of the frog/butterfly kits we you can observe their lifecycles, if so, any reputable stockists? Have just googled this but thought somebody may have some personal recommendations,
    Thank you.

2. I've just had my caterpillars delivered from insectlore. Bought the set on Amazon for about £10.00. The children were absolutely fascinated by how quickly they grew in the 4 days before half term. I've bought them home and promised daily photos on the learning platform as they were so gutted that they wouldn't see them over half term.
    They are 100% engaged with life processes as a result of these caterpillars and I would absolutely recommend them. I never realised how quickly caterpillars grew, so I've also learned lots just by watching them. Beats books for sure :)

3. Hi
    They take 2/3 weeks to grow and 14 - 16 days in chrysalis form before emerging so if you ordered them now there shouldn't be a problem. Mine are getting really big so I hope they will emerge a couple of weeks after going back to school.
    We also have an ant farm. Fascinating watching them burrow. All the children from the other year groups love to come and watch them.
    As a previous poster said 'better than a book'.

4. Thanks....have just ordered a wormery, butterfly garden and stick insect kit since the children expressed an interest in stick insects.

5. i used insectlore last time but instead of ordering the refill kit I am going for http://www.heartofenglandbutterflies.com/saleitems/cat_saleItems.html this time as you feed the caterpillars actual plants (nettles- there are loads in our pond area and local fields!) instead of that weird gloop stuff they come with from insectlore.

You can get worms by pouring soapy water into the ground - I did it as an experiment last time, we stamped our feet to sound like rain, poured water into the ground and poured soapy water to see which one worked best (eco friendly soap of course!) you do need to gently rinse the worms afterwards before putting them in the wormery.
    We're releasing our butterflies on the village green with biscuits and juice as an end of term treat- can't wait!

6. As well as observing the life cycle, I bought some of the live bait boxes from Pets at Home, (about £6 for 3 boxes) and kept grasshoppers, crickets and grubs in some large tubs. The children were absolutely fascinated and loved hearing the noise in quiet moments. We were able to use them under microscopes linked to the IWB and the children produced some really good studies, (yr 1).

7. Hello, please can you let me know where you placed the live bait boxes and how it took to get the crickets. Also, what did you put in the large tubs, what size?
    Thank you.

8. Sorry, another question - how long did you all keep the minibeasts before they were released back into the wild, thanks.

9. Just a couple of says after the butterflies hatched- we didn't have much room for them in the netting!
    The worms we kept for a few weeks I think, we put apple cores and leaves on top of the wormery and misted it with water every now and then and they seemed quite happy!