1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MINIBEAST RECIPES

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by timetogetup, May 18, 2011.

1. Hey everyone, i am currently planning an Ugly bug ball for my reception class in which they will learn a dance to the Ugle bug ball tune, sing some minibeast songs and then we will have made some small snacks for their parents to taste. The problem i have is i dont have many minibeast themed snack idea, so far i have blackcurrant juice (beetle juice), sandwiches cut in the shape of butterflies, iced biscuits with choc buttons (ladybird biscuits) i am looking at maybe two more things to make, they need to be easy and quick and also cheap to buy the ingrediants!

Hope you can help!

2. Hey everyone, i am currently planning an Ugly bug ball for my reception class in which they will learn a dance to the Ugle bug ball tune, sing some minibeast songs and then we will have made some small snacks for their parents to taste. The problem i have is i dont have many minibeast themed snack idea, so far i have blackcurrant juice (beetle juice), sandwiches cut in the shape of butterflies, iced biscuits with choc buttons (ladybird biscuits) i am looking at maybe two more things to make, they need to be easy and quick and also cheap to buy the ingrediants!

Hope you can help!

3. Spider cupcakes. Get some mini cupcakes, icing in a tube to put on some eyes (or smarties/m&ms even fried egg gummies) and some strawberry laces to poke in as legs. You can also make earthworm cups by again getting mini cupcakes, ice the top, crush up a load of choccie biccies, dip the iced cupcakes in the crushed biccies so it looks like dirt on the top and then stick in some jelly worms. Oreos are good ones to use as they are nice dark and look like the kind of earth an earthworm loves!

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

[​IMG]
    <h2>Snail Sandwiches</h2>
    A slice of bread, white
    or brown

Choice of filling (something that you will be able
    to spread, e.g. jam or cheese spread)

Small pieces of carrot or liquorice

5. mini eccles cakes ready made puff pastry sugar and currents = dead fly cakes!

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

Don't stress!

We do all this fussing when, actually, a nice cup of tea and a biscuit will suffice. Not everybody is hooked to the 'everything must link with the topic' idea.
    So. whilst I love the idea of the 'themed' food, I wouldn't waste a single moment worrying about it. Life's too short! Wot the heck! The main thing is that the parents have put in a appearance.
    Id be tempted to buy a tin of Japanese chocolate-coated ants and be damned. At least they'd be a talking-point.
    And leave the topic-fascists to stew.