1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Minibeast Interview activity help/advice!!!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by BevEllacott, Feb 23, 2011.

1. I have an interview on Monday in a private nursery. I have been told I can carry out my activity either indoors or outdoors and that I have 15-20 minutes with approximately 5 chidlren to do my activity. The staff told me that they have been doing minibeasts and that it would be good to do something on that.

I
    have thought of a few ideas but am unsure as of yet if I will use any
    of them as some seem to be more 'independent activities' as opposed to
    teacher-initiated which I have not done before in an interview:
    - minibeast hunt with magnifying glasses and an observation sheet with pictures

-
    fill a big container with soil, twigs, leaves etc and put some
    minibeasts inside (or small plastic bugs if I cannot get real ones!!) -
    basically the observation activity but inside. Children can use
    magnifying glasses. Focus on observation and speaking and listening
    skills.

Any advice you could give me would be much appreciated - this job would be perfect for me if I can manage it!!!!

2. I have an interview on Monday in a private nursery. I have been told I can carry out my activity either indoors or outdoors and that I have 15-20 minutes with approximately 5 chidlren to do my activity. The staff told me that they have been doing minibeasts and that it would be good to do something on that.

I
    have thought of a few ideas but am unsure as of yet if I will use any
    of them as some seem to be more 'independent activities' as opposed to
    teacher-initiated which I have not done before in an interview:
    - minibeast hunt with magnifying glasses and an observation sheet with pictures

-
    fill a big container with soil, twigs, leaves etc and put some
    minibeasts inside (or small plastic bugs if I cannot get real ones!!) -
    basically the observation activity but inside. Children can use
    magnifying glasses. Focus on observation and speaking and listening
    skills.

Any advice you could give me would be much appreciated - this job would be perfect for me if I can manage it!!!!

3. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

Sounds good! How about linking it to PSRN with counting legs/wings etc? Sorting them into groups - bugs with 4 legs, bugs with wings, stripey bugs etc? Still lots of interaction but let them choose the groupings.
    Or you could do a colouring game - picture of a bug split into sections, each with a number (1-6). Take turns to roll a dice and colour in the section that corresponds to the number you landed on.
    There are loads of different things you can do - stick with one you know inside out so you can talk about why you chose it.
    Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine!