1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Minibeast Hunt Lesson Observation

Discussion in 'Primary' started by missohsobrilliant, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Hello.

I have a lesson observation on Wednesday. It is a topic lesson. I am doing minibeasts.

I only found out about it last thursday. On the wednesday we had been out on a minibeast hunt in the reception nature garden and the children were really excited and loved the lesson! We were looking at habitats, they recorded what they found, where they found it, and why they thought they lived there. Even the LA children achieved really well and ones that arent usually were really keen to write and get involved.

I thought about doing this lesson again but not in the nature garden, and using the playground instead for example. I think, that it is going to be difficult to create that "buzz" again and so am looking for a purpose for going out side again or some ideas.

I know if i do anything involving pictures or IWB my headteacher will say "couldnt you have taken the children outside?" so to avoid that can anyone help with any ideas. Anything would be GREATLY appreciated.

My class is a mixed year 1/2.

Many thanks in advance!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I agree it will be difficult to get the buzz, if you repeat the lesson,merely in a different location.
    As tou your comment ' I know if i do anything involving pictures or IWB my headteacher will say "couldnt you have taken the children outside?", what happens if it's raining? You'll need a back-up plan.
    What about sending the children out (weather permitting) to find a mini-beast, which they then have to sketch with as much detail as they can? Give them say 10-15 mins & then return to the classroom where there will be an assortment of reference books. Their task is to then use their sketches to identify the minibeasts. Your plenary could focus questioning on why some were easier to identify than others & the importance of noting as many details as possible.

3. Hello. Thank you for your quick reply I think i have thought of something - it doesn't involve going outside but will involve real minibeasts! Going to get the children to make a minibeast box. choosing four materials for a habitat (from a possible 6ish) to put in each corner of the box. the children will record why they picked their materials for the homes and which they think the minibeast will choose as their home. then let a precaught minibeast go in the centre of the box and see which one they like the best. should be ok - going to take a bit of preparation but doesn't everything!? Thanks again.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Good one, well done.The children should have a good time & hopefully your observer will be impressed.

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

6. Oooh that stuff looks quite good. Surprised I haven't come across it whilst doing my extensive Minibeast Research!

Lesson observation went well - good with lots of outstanding features!

7. marlin

Well done! [​IMG]
    Glad you think he RSPCA resources will be useful.

8. marlin

'the' not he resources!