1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mini Topic Ideas needed - year 5/Primary 6

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Puzzle97, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Hi guys, I am needing some help getting my thinking cap back on after the hols! As I have a split 5/6 class, my HT has decided that I'll take all the year 5s while the 6s do their SATs. To make it easier Ill have them for the full day, for 3 days.
    Does anyone have any good ideas for a mini topic that incorporates literacy, numeracy, art etc?
    I have done New York in the past but want to keep that one under my hat for the time being as I might do it with my class towards the summer.
    Thanks guys
    [​IMG]

2. I've done a project on budgeting before. It sounds really boring but hear me out: you prepare lots of different jobs with salaries which the children select at random- from a shopworker to a Prime-minister then the children spend their money- discuss mortgages, rent, cars, compare the markets using the websites. You can also go to town on persuasion and media advertising during this. Covers loads of ICT with spreadsheets too.
    My kids loved it!

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

They look Fab Marlin, might do some of that with year 6 after SATs. The other year 6 teacher will think he has finally convinced me that we should teach children 'Economic Awareness' after all.

Ahhhh brownie points for me in the late summer term!

Thank you!

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Very happy to have been of help! [​IMG]

6. I am planning on doing NYC and would love a copy of your plans if possible!?

7. I have done a topic on creating a theme park (could sit alongside Charlie and chocolate factory) that incorporates budgeting and area and costs / profit etc. Resource can be found on Primary resources. It is amini topic but great fun and can include ICT and technology subject too!

8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I'm just in the process of planning a unit bases on the artist Clarice Cliff, using shapes (including nets) for Maths and some Literacy work. It's designed as a mini project for supply so should fit your needs well.
    When it's finished I'll upload what I've got.