1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mini scheme of work at interview

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Deirds, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

I don't get many interviews (cue violins) but today we had a timed half hour to write a 6 lesson scheme of work. We had a template and a pen. Whole thing sprung on us as we got there. I felt a bit mean not telling the other 2 what the topic was. (We took it in turns).Is this common? None of us finished. Perhaps I should prepare some to get into practice.

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Depends. It generally is for HoD/HoF posts, but if its a small dept, chances are they will expect a classroom practitioner to contribute and write SoW.

Its also a test of how effectively you can think and work under pressure. You could have been asked to respond to an angry parent or crunch some data. I think the SoW is infinitely preferable!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Something directly related to the job you would be doing - seems an excellent idea!

I have also known candidates to be asked to do a lesson plan to Ofsted specifications (if such a thing exists!). Again, very relevant.

No, you weren't mean in keeping mum - just appropriately confidential.

So . . . how did it go?

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

4. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Ah, well, my mini lesson did not go well, a bit over-optimistic about how good they would be at independent learning ( I had been asked to prepare good handouts for a lesson that was not teacher led). Came last, someone has to, so a tad irritated at losing several hours to prepare for day/ interview (sent home at short listing stage) but strangely more confident than I was. Supply agency sent me . Personally, I feel I need to build up more regular supply and get friendly references. School didn't feel my lesson went quite as disastrously as I thought and they gave me some nice feedback. I really would have liked to know who they offered job to, however. I was bundled out rather quickly.

Had it gone very well, I would, of course, started an "I got the job!" thread...

Now, I must really stop letting agency talk me into applying for long-term jobs. It keeps them quiet though, to be fair, I was a credible candidate this time.

Now my personal life is settling down I can plan for medium, long-term ...

Thanks for all the advice over the years.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm sorry it did not work out for you, but pleased that you can see some positives in it all.

Onwards and upwards!

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.