1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mini-lesson

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MollyHill, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I've been asked to teach a 30min lesson (literacy through PSHCE, Year 5) for an interview next week, really struggling to find something good to fit in the timescale! Any outstanding ideas?!

2. Hi,
    I've been asked to teach a 30min lesson (literacy through PSHCE, Year 5) for an interview next week, really struggling to find something good to fit in the timescale! Any outstanding ideas?!

3. Have a look at the SEAL scheme for y5 - there are usually exemplar lesson plans for other subjects at the end of the SEAL lessons.

4. Thanks will have a look!

5. I've had children make a persuasive leaflet about a topic they've learned, eg don't smoke. I showed them some advisory leaflets to start with (eg fireworks one) and we agreed on a format: front page - big bold catchy title and eye-catching picture; inner pages - bullet points of researched facts, with pics; back page - where/how to get help. They did a rough draft first, doing the writing and making a note of what kind of picture they would need. I found it easiest to do it straight on the computer (in the ICT suite or on laptops) so they could get the layout straight away and quickly research any info they needed. They weren't allowed to copy and paste any text directly but could use it for info.

Obviously, this would normally take more than 30 minutes but you could do the beginning section, modelling the layout and getting them to make a start. You'd also need to take a topic they would have a certain level of familiarity with - perhaps bullying - but where they could also research more information. Anyway, just an idea to get you started.

6. Another good way to bring in literacy elements to PSHE is through drama. You could do role play, freeze frames, decision alley. You should be able to google most of these but ask me about them if you can't. Using thought bubbles/speech bubbles and post-its are good ways to bring in short writing opportunities and get everybody involved.