1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Minecraft

Discussion in 'Primary' started by caterpillartobutterfly, Mar 14, 2016.

1. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Do any of you use Minecraft in school?

Does it enhance the curriculum, or is it a club?

Are there any problems?

(Just being nosy, since I keep seeing a lot about it around at the moment.)

2. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

We've done both. The Minecraft Edu app is useful as you can go in as a teacher and control things (and stop zombies, etc from appearing). For the club - a group of our Y2 students (who saw themselves as experts) ran it themselves, setting challenges for other Y2 children to try and complete. For the curriculum - I have only personally used it as a part of an inquiry into homes. The children had to design their house to fit a particular environment, and some children chose to do this using Minecraft. It was a very effective media to use for this particular task. I don't use it much though cos I don't really know how to operate it myself!!

3. caterpillartobutterfly

I'm thinking designing settings for story writing, then designing homes/[places relating to geog and hist.

And yeps, year 3 would love to run a club!

4. Calamity54321

Calamity54321 New commenter

We designed a story setting for Literacy, created a Roman temple for a chosen God in History, built houses with different areas for Maths and constructed different landmarks in Geography. There's also a Minecraft activity on the 'Hour of Code' website for Computing.

5. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

It does seem to be very popular and there's lots of courses available on it, if that's of any interest?

6. caterpillartobutterfly

Thank you all...will look into the courses.

7. quacker741

quacker741 New commenter

My son plays it. Not at school but the language potential is great. You can talk about the worlds and then describe them.

8. jerryjerryjerry

jerryjerryjerry New commenter

I've set it up in 2 schools. I've always used it in after school clubs. Never anything else. I think it works best in American-style school day structure where the kids are assigned projects they have to complete over a week as opposed to a sequence of discrete lessons.

Minecraft and Minecraft EDU were acquired by microsoft. They're releasing a version written in a different program language later in the year so the coding resources on the internet will cease working. Hold out until MS release their new game if you were thinking of buying it/planning for it.

9. duffer123

duffer123 New commenter

Does anyone have any plans related to it so I could see how youre using it?

10. mrsrushton

mrsrushton New commenter

Is there anything wrong or potentially dangerous ( internet safety etc) about using Minecraft. All my pupils are talking about it and I am aware that I am going to have to research this!

11. MrMHyland

MrMHyland New commenter

I have used Minecraft Edu for the past two years in Y6. I've used it after SATs as a kind of team-building exercise to naid transition to secondary school. I put the children in groups they would not pick themselves and set them challenges to overcome together in game. It works fantastically well and the children learn how to interact with others from outside their friendship group.

However, Minecraft Edu is very time consuming if you want to set up a world for the children to use, especially if you don't understand it. It took me a long time when I first started using Minecraft, but the kids enjoy it so its worth it.

12. Ajay09

Ajay09 New commenter

I'm really interested in using Minecraft for my Year 5 children. What do you need to do to set it all up?