1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

mindfulness

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Aug 23, 2019.

1. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

I too don't like sprouts (in fact they're 'orrible). I was once served a meal with them, whilst out with friends, and proceeded to offer them to the other people there. One of my friends (a biology teacher in fact) asked me if I found them bitter. I said I did, and he replied that I'd "got the gene" that makes sprouts etc taste bitter. I think the same applies to radicchio.

So my dislike for them is entirely genetic. That was interesting to discover, and curious too, since my parents liked them. (I expect both my parents were sprout-disliking "carriers".)

NoseyMatronType likes this.
  2. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Star commenter

Is that because the planning would have to include potentially measurable 'learning outcomes'?

I suspect that to be the case i.e. what cannot be quantified does not exist.

It does take the joy and spontaneity out of things.

That's one of the reasons I have decided to quit teaching early (at the end of this month). There's too much of this kind of thing going on these days and it saps your morale eventually.

3. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

It does take the joy and spontaneity out of things.

That's one of the reasons I have decided to quit teaching early (at the end of this month). There's too much of this kind of thing going on these days and it saps your morale eventually.[/QUOTE]

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  4. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Again the absurd ideology that nothing can happen without planning. I suspect they've taken the idea from project management, where you certainly do need to plan certain things.

The logical extension is that you need to plan exactly when and how you're going to plan for the walk. And then you need to plan that, ad infinitum.

5. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Hooray for nosey matron type!!!89

6. NoseyMatronType

Thanks!

7. NoseyMatronType

The documentary filmmaker Adam Curtis once looked into the origins of this obsession with measurability, target-setting and number crunching in his series 'The Trap' (which is easy to find online).

The following is an extract from a synopsis of one of the episodes.

The programme describes how the Clinton administration gave in to market theorists in the US and how New Labour in the UK decided to measure everything it could, the better to improve it, introducing such artificial and unmeasurable targets as:

* Reduction of hunger in Sub-Saharan Africa by 48%

* Reduction of global conflict by 6%

It also introduced a rural community vibrancy index in order to gauge the quality of life in British villages and a birdsong index to check the apparent decline of wildlife. In industry and the public services, this way of thinking led to a plethora of targets, quotas, and plans. It was meant to set workers free to achieve these targets in any way they chose. What these game-theory based schemes did not predict, though, was that the players, faced with impossible demands, would cheat.

Curtis describes how, in order to meet artificially inflated targets:

* Lothian and Borders Police reclassified dozens of criminal offences as "suspicious occurrences", in order to keep them out of crime figures;

* Some NHS hospital trusts created an unofficial post of "The Hello Nurse," whose sole task it was to greet new arrivals in order to claim for statistical purposes that the patient had been "seen," even though no treatment or even examination had occurred during the encounter;

* NHS managers took the wheels off trolleys and reclassified them as beds, while simultaneously reclassifying corridors as wards, in order to falsify Accident & Emergency waiting times statistics.

I like the bit about setting targets for the volume of birdsong that should be audible in the British countryside.

This business can be traced back to the ideas of Alain Enthoven that were applied by the Pentagon during the Vietnam War. Apparently, troops on the ground were set targets as far as killing enemy troops were concerned. They also cheated by killing civilians.

Or something like that. Again, I think I came across this claim in the same Adam Curtis series.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  8. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Some 'advisory expert' talked to us about 'mindfulness' as part of yet another staff training session. He wittered on for over an hour, and none of us were any the wiser.