1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

mindfulness

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Aug 23, 2019.

1. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Because they have the answers.

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Was she taking medication?

3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

because enforcing it at schools IS harming people. It is clogging up the school day with more cr** that has to be planned, written up, timed, shown to be done inclusively for all ethnic origins, sexual orientations, evaluated, discussed in "student voice" sessions, imposed on staff and students who have more important things to do.

Our year 11s were forced to waste time on this every exam day. It caused so much stress and aggravation that we then had to not only plan and run the sessions, but also plan and run ways to accommodate students who were refusing to participate, or getting upset about it.

It was a very harmful fad, but I am hoping its passed now. Trouble is, it is likely to be replaced by another equally harmful fad.

Why is something not "crack pot" just because you like it?

4. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Brad Warner should have discovered that the best antidote to renal colic on passing a kidney stone is morphine.

5. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

The implication if some therapy doesn't do it for you is always that you just didn't try hard enough or you have a closed mind.

6. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Star commenter

I don't recall. The quotations were ones that I had easily available and it's a while since I read Cohen.

As far as I know, there is absolutely no issue with taking medications and practising meditation.

For example, Issan Dorsey (a former drag queen turned Zen teacher) was on multiple medications towards the end of his life as he was H.I.V. positive when AIDS was initially devastating the SF gay community.

It may just be worth pointing out that while I know a fair bit about meditation, I am not a Buddhist. This is because the teachings on things like, say, reincarnation or the after-death bardo states just don't make much sense to me. I am just someone who has read very widely in the territory, looked for evidence for the efficacy of meditation, and drawn the conclusion - based on learning about lots of small scale studies, the relevant neuroscientific literature, sober publications like The Mindful Way Through Depression co-authored by characters like Mark Williams ( Emeritus Professor of Clinical Psychology at the University of Oxford) and personal experience - that it can be beneficial.

I would therefore place both mindfulness and CBT in a different category from other therapies and forms of alternative medicine like, say, acupuncture, reiki, and traditional psychoanalysis.

But I still think that it is unsuitable for schools. Mindfulness is for 'adults only' as far as I am concerned. The links that I have posted to articles pointing out issues with adverse effects and the questionable assumptions that underpin the practice are cautionary. Interestingly, when I pointed the relevant SMT member where I am in the direction of some of this less than flattering material, they didn't want to know.

One thing that I would like to know myself is how this whole mindfulness for schools fad started. I suspect that it gained momentum through the influential Anthony Seldon who, as far as I am aware, introduced happiness and well-being classes that might have included mindfulness when he was the Headmaster of Wellington School, though I can't be sure.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

After what level and amount of training is one ready to embark on teaching "mindfulness" to adolescents, children or young adults?

Here's my guess. Tell me if I'm wrong!

Half an INSET day when a lot of the assembled throng are rolling their eyes and slumped over their cuppa.

Yeah. Great. If it's worth doing? Maybe it's worth doing WELL? Or don't do it at all.

#justathought
    #sillyme
    #stickabroomupmyjacksieandI'llmopthefloorwhileI'matit
    #you'reateachersojustbloodydoit

8. NoseyMatronType

Cohen also suffered from ovarian cancer and had chemotherapy after she was diagnosed with it. This is her writing about her experience of that process:

https://www.darlenecohen.net/welcome/scenery_of_cancer.html

She eventually succumbed to the condition.

My reason for quoting Cohen extensively is because I found her to be inspirational at a point when I was in a very dark place with severe tinnitus. But part of that admiration is to do with her unique and remarkable style of prose. I wish I could write as well as she does.

9. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Where are you going to find half an inset day?

10. grumpydogwoman

Oops! Course not.

"Watch this PPT and then deliver mindfulness to YRs 7, 10 and 12. Job done. Now duck off and teach it. Oh, and we need those A to A*s up to 45% by the end of the year. Ta."

nizebaby likes this.
  11. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Yes, that is unfortunate.

It would be better if therapies were approached in the way that food preferences are. There are a few foods that I really don't like the taste of. If someone were to say I wasn't trying hard enough to like them, or that I had a closed mind, well...

NoseyMatronType likes this.
  12. EmanuelShadrack

Interesting points.

I think the moment anything is forced on people, the situation is already lost. It's the act of coercion itself that is the problem. In fact that's was a big reason I left teaching. I don't believe in trying to teach anyone against their will.

It could be anything - mindfulness, maths, music, P.E., whatever. The moment you have to do it, there's a barrier to overcome, and you get the inevitable, and justified "what is the point of this?" confrontational question (as opposed to the genuinely curious enquiry). I learned after a while never to try answering this question, cos you're lost before you begin.

And so on that point, attendance at the next TES meet will be compulsory for anyone reading this thread. Failure to attend will incur a fine of £10,000.

13. EmanuelShadrack

Yes I'm curious myself now. I've never heard of Anthony Seldon, and I haven't done any research as I write this.

Perhaps he came across mindfulness and thought that it might be good for his students. That would be my guess.

In a sort of follow-up to what I've written (about coercion), I think the other main problem, as others have pointed out, is that so many people just can't get enough of fads, and bandwagon-jumping. It seems that everyone's looking for the next "big thing", the next instant fix that will solve everything. Ironically the actual fix can only be achieved by giving up these ridiculous ideas that such an instant fix exists in the first place.

You very rarely achieve anything with no effort, and yet that's what gets sold so many times over. It's usually promoted by the consumer society, in order to get people to buy various product. But it's all bollocks.

14. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I wouldn't even mind if it were just misplaced wand-waving but in our school it's the action of newly-appointed "managers", "directors" and "leaders" to look as if they're innovating and initiating. Theyve never had any previous experience or interest in but prrsume to drag us all through an Inset day.

15. NoseyMatronType

I like this analogy.

Made me think of sprouts and cauliflower, both of which I can't stand. It doesn't matter how much evidence there is that eating either of them is good for you.

16. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Thos is slightly off topic (sorry) but it sprang to mind in the context of rhis thread. Once a week, we used to tale the mirsery class to the wonderful children's library across the road. Of course, we could only go if there were enough adults available.

As the class teacher, I walked at the front, with three children in my charge. The walk rook about four minutes. I used to point out and name flowers, show road names and signs etc - you get it.

Then one day, my esteemed EYs head told me at a ataff meeting that I should be planning for this walk!

17. grumpydogwoman

To teach something really well it's fairly important to have some kind of commitment to it.

If you are ignorant of it or outright despise it then you shouldn't be entrusted with it.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  18. NoseyMatronType

It's not just that. Outside facilitators must be on a good whack for delivering Inset training of this kind.

He's a fairly prolific author and has written studies of Gordon Brown and John Major that are aimed at the general reader among other things.

GP's have, I think, been put in a similar position with respect to CBT i.e. minimally trained in it and then expected to apply that training in a 5 minute appointment. It's just daft.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  19. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

What I meant to say was that all joy and sponteneity would have been taken out of our little weekly walk, replaced with ... what?

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  20. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

sorry for typos. I hate posting by phone.