1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

mindfulness

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Aug 23, 2019.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

For once I'm wirh racroesus.

nomad likes this.
  2. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

The two articles I read (one about mindful walking and the other about eating christmas dinner) really narked me. Now, I'm no authority, but it seems to me that the highjacking of ancient and profound (possibly) meditation techniques must be dubious.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

I thought he went fishing by himself.

Does Malificent know?

agathamorse and nizebaby like this.
  4. EmanuelShadrack

Ah, but that's an entirely different matter to your original post.

LunaBlue123 likes this.
  5. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I could have benefitted from this video but I forgot my shoes.

6. EmanuelShadrack

A technique pioneered by that short bloke from Benny Hill.

7. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Note the word "possibly".

8. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Don't all sensible fisherpeople go on their own? I know I would.

9. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Why ahould we borrow from zen buddism? The macrobiotic diet craze was daft enough!

10. EmanuelShadrack

Duly noted.

I think the operative word you mentioned however is "hijacking". It's the bandwagon-jumping that's the problem. The ultimate irony I thought was that you could get "Mindfulness techniques" in an easy to use audio format, so you could listen to them while you're at the gym, on a treadmill or something.

I never saw the glaring contradiction mentioned anywhere.

agathamorse likes this.
  11. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Mindfulness is a marketable buzzword for the simple, effective and not original idea of being in the moment and focusing on what you can sense around you rather than your worries etc. It’s effective but sold as if it was only discovered this year- Tibetan Monks have probably being doing it since there were monks in Tibet. I remember doing Tai Chi years ago which is essentially mindfulness.

12. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

Some years back I was offered CBT, and despite really wanting it to work, I found it made no difference at all. I was then referred on and ended up being prescribed something which to my surprise worked wonders and made a difference to my quality of life in just a few weeks. So I'm convinced to this day that my problems were down to a chemical imbalance that CBT just couldn't have solved. As a result, I'm always wary when people tell me about the amazing benefits of mindfulness, or tell me that it's my growth mindset that's at fault. I simply don't think they're the cure for all ills that some people make them out to be. I don't mind what other people choose to do, and if it makes them feel better then that's wonderful, but I don't appreciate other people who haven't been in my shoes telling me they know what will work for me.

13. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Mindfulness is not meditation. It's situational awareness - awareness of what you are doing; what you are thinking; what you are seeing/hearing/eating/smelling... it's great for those with anxiety as it brings them back to the present moment and reality, and gets them out of their catastrophising thoughts and fantasies.

To eat mindfully is to be aware of taste and texture with every mouthful; to let the food hit your taste buds properly, and to allow the digestion process to begin (as it should do) in your mouth. It means not scarfing back that sandwich or evening meal in front of the TV so that you have finished eating before you were even aware of starting.

Walking mindfully is about being aware of the body's movement: muscles and tendons; about being aware of your balance. Listening mindfully is about actually stopping and listening and hearing the sounds around you. Breathing mindfully is about feeling the in and out breath; about being aware of your lungs filling; your diaphragm contracting and relaxing; about noticing how any tension which hinders full breathing.

All these things are about being aware in the present moment and focusing on the 'external' or physical world, rather than your fears and thoughts. And when you notice those thoughts you acknowledge them and then let them go on their way, returning your attention to whatever you are doing mindfully in that moment.

Mindful deep breathing (because you are doing it slowly and deliberately) stimulates the vagus nerve which activates specific neurons that detect blood pressure. These neurons signal to the vagus nerve that blood pressure is becoming too high, and the vagus nerve in turn responds by lowering your heart rate.

It works with CBT because CBT is all about becoming consciously aware of 'faulty' thoughts and beliefs (ie. thoughts/beliefs that are not true but which affect your behaviour), and then rationally challenging those thoughts/beliefs so as to reach a more honest appraisal of the situation, so you can resond appropriately.

CBT and any combination of CBT with anything else is used by the NHS as a 'quick fix' - it aims to get you functional again, but doesn't resolve either deep-seated psychological problems or chemical imbalances. But it's comparatively cheap and ticks boxes.

agathamorse and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  14. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Isnt that just wilfully ignoring your very actual difficulties? I can focus on my breathing for 30 mins but nothing's going to have changed in the meantime.

15. Aquamarina1234

My experience precisely.

16. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I tried mindful walking but got distracted by all the pretty wildflowers.

agathamorse likes this.
  17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Did you know mindfulness is an anagram of utter ******

18. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Dear monica, not in a million years could I concentrate on muscles and tendons when there was a wealth of beauty and interest all around me. What would actually be the point when I was already focussing on the here and now?

agathamorse and monicabilongame like this.
  19. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

20. Aquamarina1234

Oh. Well my prob wasnt depression, It was anxiety.