1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mindfulness Ideas for Tutor Time?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Auts, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Auts

Auts New commenter

Looking for tried and tested ideas for mindfulness activities or calming music suitable for secondary school?

2. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

The next 'buzz word' should be 'willingness'

No music, sit down, be quiet and read a book! Leaving you free to take the register, deal with admin and MAYBE even have time to listen to 1-2 children read to you per day.....

If they really annoy you make them write a journal, they peer assess!!!

3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I don't like the word mindfulness. I understand that the school needs to create the right climate for learning but I think it is naïve to think that this can be tackled with a few ' activities ' during Tutor Period. Think research says Mozart a good call re music - Google is your friend.

Dodros likes this.
  4. MissHallEnglish

MissHallEnglish Occasional commenter Forum guide and community helper

Film soundtracks also work well.
    We run a 'Theme of the Week' which consists of every form in each year group discussing, investigating, debating and learning about the chosen theme. So for example - to mention a few - this year we've tackled Extremism, Aspirations, had some fun with World Book Day, British Values, E-Safety and Famous Britons. Even if it's not a school initiative, it might be worth trying.
    Is the mindfulness idea to settle them? Routine usually works just as well if that's the case. However, I know there are some primary schools that do mindfulness extremely well - maybe post over in the primary forum for ideas?

5. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

Classical music is also a wonderful way to hurry students into classrooms during changeover if it's played over the speakers in the corridors!

Also playing it at the back of the sports hall keeps the smokers away 'coz it does my head in' + in the toilets!

6. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

During term time I've noticed how my local McDonalds plays classical music around the time when students from the local secondary school arrive in the afternoon. It seems to have the dual purpose of calming those who are "hyper" and discouraging them from overstaying their welcome.

I too dislike hearing the word "mindfulness" being hijacked to denote what often appears in practice to be just another panacea of the chattering classes, no different from the tabloids' current obsession with the health benefits of turmeric.

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

mindfulness = B******S

Sorry - but it is.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I totally agree with @peakster 's definition, but like mindfulness for the justification it gives to previously hard to justify activities.

Colouring in...especially if it says 'mindfulness colouring' at the top of the sheet.
    Sat doing nothing...call it conscious thought or some such should SLT question it
    Safe place exploration...they all sit huddled in various parts of the room (corners/under the desk/reading corner/etc/etc) If you don't worry too much, nor look too closely, you won't notice half are playing on their phones and the other half have gone to sleep.
    Mindfulness walking...take them out to the field and let them wander about wherever

pepper5, phlogiston and dunnocks like this.
  9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

All these ideas - growth mindset and suchlike are dreamed up by mature academics who never have and never will go anywhere near a class of real children

10. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

For example here are two tips from a website I'm using for something else, but have got distracted:
    1. Make sure they are ready to give mindfulness a try; if they are full of energy and itching to run and play, it may not be the best time for practicing mindfulness for the first time.
    Errrr so my class of seven year olds are never ever going to be ready to give mindfulness a try. They are ALWAYS full of energy and itching to run and play.

6. Afterwards, finish the practice by doing something they enjoy with them to ensure they have a positive experience.​

Yeps, even the experts know that kids will get naff all out of it and so you'll need to do something fun at the end to make mindfulness positive!

bonxie and pepper5 like this.
  11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'll try that with my Year 8s shall I ?

When I retire I will publish a book - it will be called

"101 Uses of a Dead Educational Researcher"

My second Book will be called

"Growth Mindset and other S*** and obvious ideas"

That will keep me busy for a bit

12. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I thought mindfullness was Out now.

Somebody did tell me what new rubbish was In, but I can't remember, and thankfully don't have to for another 5 weeks.

pepper5 likes this.
  13. ericfoley77

ericfoley77 New commenter

Mindfulness is always found in kids, children. Actually we have to identify it in students.
    There can be several activities involved which include -
    1. Playing meaningful games
    2. Yoga and Exercises
    3. Meditation
    4. Understanding emotions