1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mind your language!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vladimir, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

This one's a blast! It really is!

We are no longer allowed to use the term 'illegal immigrant'. Now they are 'irregular immigrants'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...gular-blasts-ministers-alarmist-rhetoric.html

Let's be really politically correct and call them 'differently legal immigrants', or else, give 'em each a jar of prunes and send them on their way, preferably in the opposite direction! Or the 'irregular' direction.

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I prefer the word refugee. It might not be appropriate for everyone coming into Europe but it applies to the majority.

yodaami2 likes this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I think if you want to guarantee that most people will refer to them as 'illegal', then get the 'Council of Europe's Human Rights Commissioner' to tell us not to! :D

BTW 'refugees' isn't correct for many, probably most, of those at Calais ...unless you add 'economic' in front of it. They aren't fleeing from civil war in Syria. As I saw with my own eyes last autumn when coming back from France through Calais.

4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Who's stopping you?

It's just more alarmist rhetoric about alarmist rhetoric.

JL48 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  5. FluffyKittyKat

FluffyKittyKat Occasional commenter

As opposed to the regular ones we get? I don't think the PC brigade thought that one through properly.
    Funny that.

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  6. Vladimir

Do they ever?

7. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Ah, the 3am daily fail......

8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Irregular?

Well, I'm not surprised they get a bit constipated. Probably don't get enough fibre.

9. FluffyKittyKat

FluffyKittyKat Occasional commenter

Are the regular ones now to be called the 'irregular regulars' then?

aspensquiver_2 and Vladimir like this.
  10. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

"Latvian human rights activist Nils Muiznieks said, illegal immigrants should be known as 'irregular migrants'." (my underlining/bold)

Since when have we worried what a Latvian Human Rights activist tells us to say in English? Well, if you will cite from the Daily Mail . . .

11. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

I'm absolutely astonished that you can detect a persons' country of origin just with your own eyes!
    Can you please give me more details of how you manage to do this and also where were the people from? You seem to know!

12. Vladimir

I know, I know, the early morning inconvenient truth. How inconveniant! And how racist! There, I've said it so you don't have to (again).

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

It's similar to the type of eyes that can medically diagnose disability fro just watching someone getting out of a car in a disabled parking space.

mutant superpowers I tells ya!