1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

mince pies

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by beckycharles, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Hello lovely cookery people!
    I wanted to make some mince pies this evening but have got home to realise I only have salted butter. Will this matter??
    Thanks!
    Becky

2. Hello lovely cookery people!
    I wanted to make some mince pies this evening but have got home to realise I only have salted butter. Will this matter??
    Thanks!
    Becky

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I would say yes. You will taste the salt in the sweet pastry. Nip out and get some unsalted or wait until tomorrow.
    There is quite a lot of salt in salted butter and I have used it making cookies before and regretted it.

4. You've confirmed what I was thinking! You can definitely tell the difference between salted and unsalted when eating it on bread etc. I'll wait until tomorrow!
    Thanks for your reply

5. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I use salted butter without any adverse effects.
    And so does Mum who makes the best mince pie pastry <u>ever</u>! (and Belle will back me up on this!)

6. henriette

henriette New commenter

...just me I'm afraid: G will be doing Daddy duty taking A and C to their various Saturday morning activities.
    [​IMG]

7. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

No problem...............G will miss out!

8. BelleDuJour

Yes. She does [​IMG]

9. henriette

henriette New commenter

I can confirm that Belle's mince pies were great yesterday!

10. BelleDuJour

[​IMG]

11. henriette

henriette New commenter

How's the tree?
    Did you get the dress?

12. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

Have just made some like tonight, with Orange rind and orange juice, very nice and will not last to Christmas with the OH seems to have taken a like to them!