1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Milk time in year 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sarbon, Jun 30, 2012.

1. sarbon

sarbon New commenter

Hi,
    As an NQT in a special measures school, I have been told by HMI on a subsequent visit that I could make more use of the children's ten minute milk time slot.
    I have started showing them short episodes of a DVD which helps them with their story writing and have thought about doing a 'milk shop' role play that I have seen in another school (to help with numeracy).
    Has anyone got any other ideas I could use please?
    Thanks in advance.

2. comenius

comenius New commenter

Do you have to have a milktime? In our reception and year 1 milk and fruit is put out on a small table and children get it whenever they want during the day. It takes some training at the start but it runs smoothly.
    Our year 2 class take their milk and fruit out at playtime - could you do that?

3. We also take ours at playtime

4. We had a story time with our milk and fruit.

5. Why not use the time for your PSHE / SEAL time. Seems a perfect amount of time to have a simple discussion. I have also used fruit time for simple debating, I just set a problem such as 'what did Goldilock's mum say to her when she got home'. Had some great chats either in small groups or as a whole class.

6. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

We read a story or share news or talents (this is so good for speaking and listening). But you could also play some mental maths games.

7. sarbon

sarbon New commenter

Thanks all for your comments. I like the idea of sharing news for sp and list skills. Will also do maths with them.
    Thank you.