1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

milk in the night

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by ladybug3, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Just wondered if any more experienced mums could tell me when LOs should definitely not have milk in the night? LO is 9 months and usually sleeps 6.30-6.30 but occasionally wakes at 4/5 in the morning. If I give her a bottle she'll go back down until 7 (or, as this morning, nearly 8!). However, my mum and sister are surprised that I still give her a feed in the night sometimes. Should I stop or just carry on?!
    Actually, rereading my post, I realise it sounds daft and there is nothing wrong with giving her a feed if she wants one. Maybe I just need reassurance in the face of militant relatives (sister's LO has slept 6-7 every night from 10 weeks!!)

2. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

What happens if you try not giving her milk if she wakes at 4/5? Eg giving a few sips of water, soothing back to sleep, dummy. I don't think there's anything wrong with giving her milk if she needs it. It might be a pain when you're back to work though. Could you try giving her a nap late afternoon, like 4pm and putting her to bed later? At least she goes back to sleep, it would be a nightmare getting up for the day this early (my LO did 2 weeks of this and it wasn't nice).

3. No, if I don't give it she dozes and grumbles until I give in and say it's the morning! And then she's horribly overtired all day. I get more sleep with the feed-and-put-back-down method than with the leave-her-to-whinge method! She sucks her thumb so no dummy and 'soothing' just seems to wake her up more!
    She has two naps a day (roughly 9-10.30 and 1.30 to 3) and she is tired for the night at 6-6.30- no way she can nap at that time and when I am back at work she will need to go to bed on timeish so I can get some work done!

4. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

My son is 2 and still has milk in the night sometimes! It's hot at the moment so he's probably thirsty plus he doesn't eat a lot so is probably a bit hungry. I think he also hears his baby sister when she wakes up. He goes back to sleep straight away once he's had some milk.
    I should probably stop doing it, but there's no harm, and i'm sure once it's colder weather he probably won't wake up. I'm so tired at the moment with a 3 month old that it's much easier to just give him some milk rather than wait for him to wake up properly!
    I have a bad feeling that my daughter is going to be as bad at sleeping as my son.

5. There is a ring of the familiar to your post - I have the sane crabbiness if I ignore it (which I do!) ... But lately been reading about the changes around 8/9/10 months with their motility - either crawling or standing or whatever and it must take a lot of energy and brain power so maybe I'm being too harsh. LO doesn't cry but wakes up, and I ignore it until 6 which is my rule. Ho hum... Is there ever a right answer??!

6. I say give the milk- we occasionally give our 18 month old a few extra ounces if she wakes in the night and asks for it (only if she asks for it- and it works every time to help her get back to sleep). Think about it- if you wake in the night and can't sleep, do you have a milky drink? I do! I find a glass of milk really settles me!

7. Also from your post you say it only happens occasionally- not every day- so again, I wouldn't worry. When are you going back to work? You might find that with the new routine she has to wake up at 6 to get ready for the day, and thus settles into a different sleep pattern e.g. bed at 7 and up at 6, like our LO.

8. We feed through the night! Last night was 11, 2 and 5 and she woke up for the day at 7.45am. No harm in it I say [​IMG]

9. could you give more at the last feed? if it's not a problem for you then keep doing it - i doubt there's any harm in it. we fed at 1am and 5am up until 6.5 months and then stopped night feeds and we're lucky he doesn't even stir now but that's because we couldn't function being woken twice a night!

10. Thanks all. I think we'll stick with the milk for now. She goes to bed very early and i like my evening so I'd rather be up early! What is it about being a mum that always makes you think you are doing it wrong?! And yes, i do often like a drink of milk in the night, so why shouldn't she have one!

11. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Exactly! If i wake up in the night i'm thirsty. It's pretty easy to feed them in the night when they're older anyway - i just give my son the bottle and then leave. It takes less than 5 mins.

12. princessmelody

princessmelody New commenter

I woke up at 4:20 this morning (stupid rain!!) I was hungry so I had a glass of milk and went back to bed. I'm 31 :)

13. Thanks for all your support ladies. Just had another haranguing conversation with my sister who says I need to 'be tough' and not feed her. The thing is, I have phases of being a terrible sleeper. When I was a teenager I slept walked and had insomnia and was basically told to go to bed and shut up by my family. I never want my LO to feel that scared in the night... But I do worry this is colouring my view so I am glad that you would all keep feeding if she wants it!

14. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I always need a drink when i wake up to feed my baby. I drink squash though, i don't usually drink milk. I'm 33!
    Your sister is lucky if her baby sleeps through but not all babies are the same.

15. I think "The books" say night feeds are not needed after six months.
    My son has not read the books (and I wish I hadn't). He is two and likes his midnight snacks!
    He also has not read the parts about: how much sleep he needs (more than 8 hours I expect), talking and potty training.

16. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Funnily enough, neither has my 2 year old! He seems to think it's perfectly normal to stay up until 10pm, still wake up early the next day, wake in the night sometimes etc. He never read that bit about having 3 meals and snacks either. Perhaps if he had he might actually sleep through every night!

17. My lo hasn't read any of the book either. She's 18 months and still likes milk in the night. I'm still breastfeeding and I have to say I actually quite like it when she climbs into our bed and whispers booby at me lol. I don't even have to wake up much as i just latch her on and go back to sleep. We generally do that around 5:30/6am and then she goes back to sleep til about 7. It's more if she's ill or teething though (last night she was awake 6 times but she's not well so it's to be expected)

18. After posting about this, LO has decided she wants to stay asleep until 8 in the morning without milk- just in time to start nursery, when she'll need to get up at 6.30!

19. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Typical! On the days i worked my son would always still be asleep and i had to wake him up, but on my days off he woke me up!