1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

milk - child initiated - help your self snack... help please!!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by DAWSONS_STUFF, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Hi
    Can anyone point me in the direction of some guidance about health and safety when leaving milk out of a fridge!
    I have it in my head that dairy products should not be out of a fridge for more than 2 hrs?
    How do people store their snack time milk etc if the children help themselves to milk over a period of the morning etc
    Any thoughts appreciated / health and safety links etc - thanks in advance!

2. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

We have a fridge in the classroom and they help themselves out of there.

3. Most I've seen either have the small cartons and only a few get put out at once (or the kids get out of the fridge), or there's a smallish jug that an adult tops up/changes over the course of the session (advantage being there's less getting spilt than a big jug).
    I've got an utter terror of lukewarm milk from the pre-Thatcher milk snatch days of glass bottles on a summer morning.... berlugh! Oh it was vile (used to tip it down the playground drain when no one was looking).

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

5. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Oh I remember it. They kept our little bottles in a big crate next to a radiator! It wasn't too warm, but it always tasted slightly sour to me - and I was a child that liked milk, so it must have been terrible for children who didn't like milk. We had to drink it - no option. Lunches too had to be eaten. Otherwise you just sat there for as long as it took and ended up seeing the head when afternoon school started.
    Lukewarm white wine isn't that great either.
    But what is all this stuff about help yourself from the fridge all morning? They're old enough to have a set breaktime with drink and a snack without all this vagueness aren't they?
    Children might be a bit haphazard at home, if they're given the option, but surely at school where they are swept along with the crowd they can stick to a bit of a set timetable can't they? Easier all round, and more sociable too.

6. <ol>[*]In some proffesionals view it is seen as good practice for children to help themselves to milk and snack - so as not to interupt the flow of Child initiated play [*]Lots of pro's and cons to this approach[*]If children help themselves to milk - it should? be stored in a fridge and not left out for more than 2 hours - due to the growth of bacteria etc [*]I am trying to find some health and safety advice about this - if anyone know of a website then please do let me know [*]Thanks [*]- sorry about the numbers!!...</ol>

7. My mum would never write me a note saying I didn't have to have custard with my pudding and it was vile with a skin about the texture and consistency of eating a pair of marigold gloves.

8. Hettys

Hettys New commenter

lol ! you and I must have gone to the same school!!!

9. mystery10

At my school you had to have doctors' note to say that you couldn't eat something. So lots of children had letters pinned up on the dining room wall from the GP (no doubt the letter had to be paid for) saying that little xxx was allergic to cabbage, or rice pudding or such-like!!

10. mystery10

Where did the idea come from that a free-flow snack-time was a good idea as it would not interrupt child initiated play? Is it pre-schools or schools who in general follow this notion?

Sorry I just find it quite amusing, as it's a kind of search for the holy grail of free play, but confined within an institution it's quite bizzare.
    It raises another question about what do you do when it is time for the children to go home? Do you keep the parents waiting until a good game naturally comes to an end?

There's really no hope for the child these days that doesn't quite fit in for some reason e.g. they're not a fan of star wars pretence games,or Disney princesses. They don't even get to sit down at snack time and feel part of the rest of the group.

11. In our area, most of the pre-schools seem to have the rolling snack time. We are under considerable pressure from visiting 'professionals' who urge us to do this. We don't at my pre-school. it just doesn't work. My deputy took it upon herself to try it while I was on sick leave for 10 weeks and it caused lots of problems. The day I came back, we returned to all together snack time and it works well. I personally think that young children need some structure in the session and also need to learn to sit down together for a short period of time to prepare them for school and nursery. No one we have so many spoilt little darlings if they can do what they want all day with no structure.

12. mystery10

Do the visiting professionals ever stop and observe the all morning bunfight? Or the children who don't eat or drink a morsel or drop the whole morning because there's no clear downtime or moment at which to do so?
    Why do people listen to visiting mad people?