1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Milk alternatives

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by gergil4, Jul 14, 2018.

1. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

I have given up most dairy in a bid to relieve constantly blocked sinuses, and it seems to have worked. I'm now going to try the same for my son. Which milk alternatives can you recommend? We've tried Alpro soya unsweetened and he hated it - can't say I blame him. He mainly uses milk on cereals. I know it's down to personal taste, but I'd like some guidance before I try every brand on the market. Thank you.

2. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Lead commenter

I use unsweetened almond milk and really like it - I buy whatever brand is cheapest/on special offer. I only have it in coffee though, so I don't know what it would be like on cereal. My flatmate uses Oatly in his porridge and says it's really good.

3. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

Thank you. I guess we'll just have to try them all!!

4. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I am trying to cut down my milk consumption, so drink organic skimmed in my tea but on cereal I use either hazelnut or cashew milk- they're quite creamy and have a lovely taste.

5. snitzelvonkrumm

snitzelvonkrumm Occasional commenter

I have given up dairy and now simply substitute water and juice. It seems counter-intuitive, but I have grown to like juice and sometimes water on some cereals.

rideemcowboy likes this.
  6. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

I've been a veggie for 25 years, but I'd like to be vegan. The milk alternative is the hardest thing for me,I think I've tried them all and probably find Oatly the most acceptable - but definitely not the same.

7. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

I drink lactofree milk. In coffee I can't taste the difference between lactofree and ordinary milk.

8. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

I like Alpro and M&S unsweetened almond milk because I can use it in coffee as well as on cereal. Last week, hazelnut was on offer at Sainsbury’s, so I tried that. It was lovely on cereal but I got a bit of a shock when I first poured it out as it was much darker than I expected - like milky coffee - and I wasn’t sure if that was how it was supposed to look. I also like M&S coconut milk (slightly cheaper than Alpro) on cereal but not in coffee as it’s not unsweetened. I’ve never tried Oatly, though.

9. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

My vegan friend rates Oatly barista in coffee.

10. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I find Oatly milk perfectly acceptable on cereals, in custard and especially in making porridge. I prefer black tea and coffee if there is no cows' milk in the house.

11. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

All of the nut milks are 2% nut and 98% water. Quite amazing really. Been off dairy for years. Soya or almond. However, a teenager who wants fatty milk on his cereal? Hard one. Closest I have ever found to milk is Horchata. Sold in Waitrose as Tigernut Milk.

12. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Horchata de Chufa is very popular in Spain, especially as a cold drink in summer.

13. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

My daughter is vegan and she drinks almond milk. She does say you have to shake it before pourng it. .

14. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

The trick with Horchata is to get it very cold. So cold there are ice crystals forming. You swear the unsweetened version is full of sugar and then you read it isn’t. It is remarkably good in terms of delivering a feelgood without any unnatural saccharides.