1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mileage claims

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Smoggy1981, Feb 27, 2012.

1. I'm curious about what is the norm for mileage claims. I've done a couple of courses away from school since starting teaching, very few have been within 50 miles of school/home. I didn't really think much about mileage claim amounts. My previous job paid 45p a mile but did not ask for business insurance, MOT certificates etc prior to paying. Since joining this school and going on the first course, I was told I needed to suppliy all my car docs before getting any of the money back. So I dutifully paid extra for business insurance. I get 15p a mile and think this is ridiculously low. A technician at school has told me that you get more if you do short journeys - this seems backwards to me.
    My partner is nagging me to query this but I worried about coming across as money grabbing. Anyone able to help - is this normal payment?

2. I'm curious about what is the norm for mileage claims. I've done a couple of courses away from school since starting teaching, very few have been within 50 miles of school/home. I didn't really think much about mileage claim amounts. My previous job paid 45p a mile but did not ask for business insurance, MOT certificates etc prior to paying. Since joining this school and going on the first course, I was told I needed to suppliy all my car docs before getting any of the money back. So I dutifully paid extra for business insurance. I get 15p a mile and think this is ridiculously low. A technician at school has told me that you get more if you do short journeys - this seems backwards to me.
    My partner is nagging me to query this but I worried about coming across as money grabbing. Anyone able to help - is this normal payment?

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

45p per mile is quite typical... your school seems to be being a bit tight. Get a train and public transport in future and give the receipts in instead in future.