1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Milan v Bilbao? Not a game of football

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Tony C, May 7, 2007.

1. I'm looking at schools in Bilbao and Milan and wondering if anyone has any information on either place in terms of salaries, cost of living etc.

2. I'm looking at schools in Bilbao and Milan and wondering if anyone has any information on either place in terms of salaries, cost of living etc.

3. For what it is worth, Bilbao is a much nicer city than Milan. Generally speaking, Italy is a more expensive place to live than Spain. Milan is actually quite expensive, weather is grim. Bilboa has the cost, Milan has the nearby lakes....

4. If Bilbao has the cost, how can Milan be more expensive?

5. I'm assuming "cost" is a spelling error for "coast". Agree with footyqueen, for what it's worth. Bilbao much more interesting place than Milan, which is characterless when compared to rest of Italy (as well as expensive).

6. to say that milan is characterless is harsh. it has its problems but its an interesting place and has lots to offer.
    it is unfortunately an expensive place to live, rents 600 to 800 euros and over and as ive seen posted here by others shopping isnt cheap either. for food or anything else for that matter.
    if you are a couple its a lot easier. you need to give it time to get used to the place and soon you find yourself loving it. at times its difficult but then again so is everywhere.

if you want an interesting experience and a base to visit the rest of italy then milan is a good spot. more organised than many other parts of italy but still maddeningly "Italian" as well.

7. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Not harsh at all. And this resident would be very interested to learn about the "lots" he is missing out on.

That would be at the lower end.

No, I'm counting the days until I leave. Milan is the worst place I've every lived.

On this we can agree. Though I'm sure Spain is just as blessed with bureaucracy, inefficiency, and corruption.