1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MIL running off to Tunisia

Discussion in 'Personal' started by weegoose, Jul 31, 2011.

1. weegoose

weegoose New commenter

My MIL has been on several holidays to Tunisia over the last year due to her friend getting married over there (wedding didn't happen until 3rd time lucky due to paperwork problems.)

The last time she came back she told us that she was getting a divorce which we were taken a back by - then she says it's so she can remarry someone she's been seeing for a year in Tunisia! At this stage though it wasn't a final decision.

She called us from Tunisia last week to say that she definitely is and I think it's just mad!

We are the only people to know, my partners siblings haven't been told officially yet. She comes back from her trip tonight so we might get a little information. I just can't even begin to fathom what this is going to do to the family as a whole. My SIL is just about to give her her first grandchild, my partner's little sister is only 18 and still lives at home. She'll be leaving her elderly mother at home too. She says that it's something that she just has to do to be happy now that all of her children are paired off and settled but I think it's a mid life crisis!

MIL says she will have to go over there for up to a month at a time then god knows what will happen when they are actually married. Is it bad that I just automatically assume that he is a visa chaser?!

In all of this talk of it she hasn't even mentioned her husband once - I don't even know if he knows!!

To top it off she lives off of her benefits! I wish I could blimmin' afford 4 holidays a year!!!

Just needed to rant!

2. weegoose

weegoose New commenter

Also - sorry for the formatting. Bloody Chrome!

3. It's all a bit Shirley Valentine isn't it?

Not sure what to make of it but I do know someone who did this - divorced her husband and left her daughters (14 and 17) to marry her toyboy Bulgarian bar man.

It didn't last.
    I wouldn't say try to talk her out of itbut just sit tight and watch the fireworks. (OK I may be cynical here but it all sounds a bit dodgy to me)

4. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Berlimey! Poor husband. [​IMG]

5. weegoose

weegoose New commenter

That is my plan exactly! My OH has already said there is no way he is going to go to the wedding and I know that his brother is going to kick off big style when he finds out!

I just hope she doesn't ask me to be a bridesmaid! haha!

6. is it just my imagination or is this happening more and more? My friend was taken in by a Turkish lothario a few years ago (ended badly- she lost a lot of money) and since then I've heard of loads more British women making fools of themselves. its crazy!

7. weegoose

weegoose New commenter

I definitely think it's becoming more common! She met him because she was at the wedding of her friend to a Tunisian who had just got divorced from a Saudi Arabian man! (The friend...not the Tunisian man!)