1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mike Russell's advice.

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by mydoll, Mar 23, 2012.

1. "This week I have sent this advice to every teacher in Scotland to support them
    and to start a wider discussion. I hope it will also, at this crucial time, help
    inform teachers’ personal improvement plans" Mike Russell

I must have missed that email. Lucky me!

2. Missed it as well!

3. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Me too!

4. me three.
    or is it me four?

5. Missed it too, or five

6. Nothing here, either...shame, really, as I'd enjoy a frank exchange of emails with Mr Russell.

7. TheBigA

TheBigA New commenter

E-mail him at this address and he or one of his flunkies will reply, though I'm still waiting on the reply to their reply I sent last week.
    scottish.ministers@scotland.gsi.gov.uk

8. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I've got an idea for his PIP, or Target Sheet/Monitoring Card as we might prefer to think of it;
    * Listen to the teacher's instructions at all times
    * Don't concern your self with other people's business
    * Don't swing on your chair
    * Don't lie

9. Not only missed the email, missed everything about "personal improvement plans".
    *** is he talking about?
    Does he mean PRD? CPD? Or is this PIP yet another new stick to beat us with?
    My money's on him not knowing *** he means. That would be par for his course.
    As I've said here before, Mike Russell just parrots his minders

10. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Och, we are all in such a good mood about this [​IMG]

11. Have you checked your spam filters? It might be lurking in there!

12. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Didn't get it either! Phew.

13. Oh wait. It's probably on Glow mail, which is basically just one big spam account anyway, isn't it. what with all those dozens and dozens of unwanted emails forwarded multiple times. He's probably in there somewhere.

14. Don't know about my spam filter; maybe check my mince filter later.

15. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Something came out about excellence in teaching. I believe it was published in the GTCS magazine which probably guarantees that it will disappear without trace.

16. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Established commenter

Is that my £45 a year GTC magazine subscription - value at only £15 an issue
    I'm going off topic, should really stick to slagging off Jack Russell

17. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

[​IMG]
    Who let the dog out?? Woof, woof!

18. I've had the flunkies already. I was hoping he'd stop hiding behind the stock statements!

19. I feel for you all, I really do. I have over 35 years of teaching and management experience in several different countries, including N. Ireland and England, and I have never experienced ANYTHING like the current maelstrom (?) teachers face here in Scotland. When I moved here two years ago I was excited about the CfE as I am a huge advocate of the philosophy that underpins it. I wanted very much to get involved. After running the gauntlet of getting GTCS registration (I hold QTS in other countries, and getting registered in those was much less painful - and less expensive!), I devoted 18 months of my life, months I will never recoup, immersing myself in the Curriculum for Excellence and all relevant supporting documents and resources. It was soul destroying! Besides much of it being redundant, patronising to teaching professionals, confusing and often contradictory, the sheer VOLUME was enough to make me lose the will to live. Then I decided to see it in action for myself and had the opportunity to visit several primary and secondary schools. The majority of teachers I met were frustrated, to say the least, by the constant dictates and evaluations of increasing layers of "out of touch" administrators. And what's up with "Quality Improvement Officers"? Doesn't their title indicate that the quality NEEDS improving??? How dare they! There is more quality in the collective experience and commitment of teachers, working in professional learning communities, than any outsider could contribute. Okay, enough of that.... I found that the very teaching and learning methods espoused in the CfE were conspicuously absent in implementing it - taking the time to really scaffold the learning for teachers and then providing them with sufficient processing time and resources to carry out the intended outcomes. And then, 2 minutes after they implement it, they start telling everyone how to improve it (which usually means we need another middle manager to oversee teachers.)
    The CfE CAN work, if could be streamlined, less top heavy and teachers could trust that summative assessments would truly reflect authentic teaching and learning. Good luck with that!

20. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

A big [​IMG] to last two posts. I had missed cochranes the first time around.
    Oh, yes.
    I could go on, but I'm being good.