1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mike Russell on teacher employment

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by robusto, Feb 21, 2012.

1. robusto

robusto New commenter

I get the impression that this is policy-making of the back-of-a-fag-packet variety from a politician who has failed hopelessly to master his brief.

2. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

what about them Fred?

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Anyone else that really could not care less anymore?

4. gnulinux

gnulinux Occasional commenter

This is just the latest wheeze to keep teachers in a continuing demoralised state so that they won't ask for better pay.

5. TheBigA

TheBigA New commenter

Does Mike Russell ever listen to teachers? He's forever claiming that he hasn't met a teacher who questions cfe, clearly he doesn't read this forum!
    I'm not sure we need a new system of 'reaccreditation'. The current PRD system would suffice if it was done properly across the board.
    I wish I could just ignore the politics and get on with the job I love. Russell seems intent on making that impossible.

6. robusto

robusto New commenter

Jeez ... and I thought I was cynical! But if "hump teachers" means "force through a cuts agenda by the calculated targeting of individual groups of teachers" then I wouldn't argue!

7. catmother

catmother Star commenter

To keep us in a state of fear,I assume?

8. It's called bullying. It's the ethos of management of education in this country. There is no collegialism here.

9. catmother

catmother Star commenter

How true.

10. Listened to Mr Russell on Good Morning Scotland this morning. When the interviewer read out some texts from teachers about their concerns he basically put his fingers in his ears and went "Tra la la la la I can't hear anything".

By the way can someone in the SSTA please get Anne Ballinger on a public speaking course? While I'm sure she's a highly competent and talented union leader, that's a couple of times she's been on and she sounds hesitant, nervous, unsure of her facts and doesn't help her cause at all.

11. Freddie92

Freddie92 New commenter

I do think Mike Russell is the SNP equivalent of Craig Whyte.

12. catmother

catmother Star commenter

[​IMG]

13. I trained in a private school a few year back, they wouldn't even touch 5-14. It was end of year exams in S1,S2 and S3. Always thought that was a good idea. Won't be long before private schools in Scotland just follow the gcse and A level system completely.

14. Freddie92

Freddie92 New commenter

Yeah I don't understand why we don't simply have end of year tests for S1-S3 in every subject to get them into the habit early of studying for exams. We do S3 exams but they are a bit of a joke and in fact are really only in place just to give teachers some extra work! They serve little or no purpose. The amount of times I have had a kid who has done poorly and then been forced upon me to sit G/C is a joke. So why bother with S3 exams if they are not used to help gauge levels for S4?

15. Agreed Freddie, I think many pupils are woefully ill prepared for their first prelims in S4 as they are simply not used to revising a complete body of work. Yes, there would be more marking involved, but that time could be sacrificed by having peer assessed end of unit tests? Sadly, I fear that cfe holds little regard for summative assessment in the early years of secondary. Unless it is done on a poster or PowerPoint!

16. Freddie92

Freddie92 New commenter

I could not agree more with everything in your post. When will the 'Top Men' listen to teachers for a change? And please forget Finland! Scandinavians (I know Finland isn't really part of Scandinavia...) really don't have the same social problems that we do and to dismiss that as a factor is really for me the entire case. We will never be a Norway, a Sweden, a Denmark or a Finland. Our kids are too free spirited and have zero respect for authority. In fact Salmond might regret trying to lower the vote as kids may well vote to 'get it right up him' as some say.

17. Here is another problem with our top brass "pick and mix" approach to modelling on other nations. Why was our glorious leader, chairman Mike in China the other year? A country with high performance in international comparasion systems. How do they do it? Doesn't take thousands of tax payers money to see that is good old fashioned didactic, teacher led curriculum. In complete contrast to our not so little green book.

18. Oh, so that's what it is, Fred! And here was me thinking all along that they're ill-mannered, selfish, obnoxious little so-and-sos! [​IMG]

19. Contrary little so-and-sos, too.

20. I grew up in England and had exams at the end of every year. This was no big deal but it taught us the rules, structure and importance of exams. In Y7, 8 and 9 I think they were in classrooms. Y10 were our mock exams for our GCSEs