1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mike Russell And Increasing Teacher Training

Discussion in 'Scotland - prospective teachers' started by ClementNickel, Dec 31, 2011.

1. My partner is considering applying for secondary teaching in English and possibly Religious Education. We're aware that the job situation is hardly bountiful (although my partner is aware that she could very well be working supply as of 2014) and yet Mike Russell is suggesting an increase in the number of funded teacher training places for 2012/2013. I assume that this is based on a projection of the amount of teachers retiring by 2013/2014, and I have seen Russell refer to the over 50s as the largest group within the teaching population, although the unions seem to think that this is barking mad. Does anybody have an idea of where Russell's projections are coming from, and if this is likely to correspond to reality of the situation? Thanks in advance!

2. sbf

sbf

Its modern economics, supply and demand.
    The government want to keep teachers under the thumb. The easiest way is to do this is by making sure there is over supply.
    Salaries and conditions can be altered at will.