1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Migration is Good for UK!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vladimir, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

Look. It says so right here, and it must be true because Tony Blair says so!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-two-MILLION-EU-workers-Britain-GOOD-UK.html

It's just as well it's so good for us because over 200000 arrived last year alone.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...er-employees-overseas-soars-254-000-year.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-UK-stays-ten-year-low-earnings-edge-1-9.html

I'm sure the homeless and jobless will be delighted to know how good migration is for the UK, especially those on harsh sanctions!

2. Painted_Bird

Painted_Bird Senior commenter

Oh well, then it's definitely true. Saint Tony wouldn't lie.

But those people don't matter. We know this because more and more people are imported and any complaints or comments about it are from "bigots", "racists" and "Nazi scum". So it must be true. Mustn't it?

Vladimir likes this.
  3. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Ah, but there are two types of migration:

1. Those benefit-abusers, who come to the UK wanting ALL benefits immediately, including a free house but want to keep their own cultural identity and laws.

2. Those who come here with qualifications and skills to fill a gap, work hard and contribute to society in taxation and spending of own money.

Nothing in-between, of course.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You may need to post a sarcasm alert, @sabrinakat !

sabrinakat likes this.
  5. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Would they believe it of....an American? :eek:

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

One of the most skilled users of amusing sarcasm that I know is an American friend; however, I expect you've learned a lot from your Irish husband - the Irish are extremely skilled users of sarcasm (and irony)!

sabrinakat likes this.
  7. clermontfed

clermontfed Occasional commenter

If the UK leaves the EU, what is going to happen to the thousands of EU members who live and work here?

8. Alf58

Alf58 Established commenter

They will continue to live and work here. I guess it may be less easy to bring the rest of their family.

9. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

In that event I expect that suitable arrangements will be made

10. wanet

wanet Star commenter

I suspect nothing very much, unless of course the EU decides to remove any of us.

Too any unknowns!

11. Painted_Bird

Reciprocal agreements will be made. The EU will be panting to make agreements with the former member with the second largest economy. They wouldn't want to lose their ££££££billions in trade surplus after all and would do nothing so silly as to threaten to deport British nationals. Money is their God at the end of the day. They know they will be dealing with an independent and skilful power who they can no longer push around.

Vladimir likes this.
  12. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

So we vote to leave the EU because lots of people have a problem with immigration and free movement and then develop reciprocal agreements to allow free movement?

o_O

13. wanet

wanet Star commenter

I don't believe that is the real issue. i think it is that the EU is a bit of a mess. DC went to get it reformed, but I don't think that he asked for the correct reform. What he should have asked for is an agreement to remove the rediculous anomalies between different members of the EU. I think that although it isn't always voiced in that way, it is the issue. he should have come back with a routemap and agreement to do that.

Painted_Bird likes this.
  14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So creating a sort of uniformity? Maybe with some sort of central authority to ensure those 'ridiculous anomalies' didn't re-emerge? Maybe some sort of superstate...

Hang on!

sabrinakat likes this.
  15. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

Clap! Clap! Very well said! The naysayers don't like facts like these. They want to focus on singular, extreme cases to try and divert attention away from the bigger issues and the needs of the whole.

16. wanet

wanet Star commenter

To what?
    There could be a lot of advantages to it if had been developed properly. But it wasn't - its a mess!
    there will probably have to be some sort of super power to stop world wide messes - like NATO for example - but the EU isn't like that. There has been no attempt to standardise benefits etc. It coud be done if there was a will. There could be an attempt to make things fairer for all members but there hasn't. Instead it has become everyone for themselves with no agreement.

17. Flere-Imsaho

He seems to have gone to ask to become a ridiculous anomaly.

18. Painted_Bird

Immigration, although important, is not the only issue. Do you remember the point was being asked what would happen to EU nationals if we leave?

A reminder

Lack of democracy and sovereignty are others.

Precisely. A range of issues are involved and were supposed to form part of the 'renegotiation' package of reforms.

Vladimir likes this.
  19. Flere-Imsaho

That and benefits has been the focus of much of the coverage.

lanokia and Vladimir like this.
  20. Painted_Bird

There would have been but it was never on the cards. And so we see the outcome.

All of those things are true in the sense that it could have worked if the will had been there. But it was never there in the first place. Equally, there was never a policy of fairness to all nations. It's simply not part of the ideology of the EU. Had it been it would not have been possible to build an empire which was always at the heart of EU ideology and which continues apace today. This is what some people fail to understand. 'Equality', 'fairness', 'diversity', 'non-discrimination' etc are fine sounding words but empty of meaning in an EU which has no intention of realising the reality of those words, and in fact a realisation which prevents their real goal of creating an empire with complete control over billions of people's lives which is disguised as "ever-closer union". Treating nations fairly and equally would rob them of the power they seek over those nations. It is highly naïve and dangerously idealistic to believe the EU stands for any of those fine sounding words. Instinctively nations know this and this is why there is a free for all.

It is of tremendous importance for people to understand the real nature and goals of the EU. The truth was deliberately and systematically denied to them 40 years ago and they were sold an illusion with tentacles designed to entrap nations into its grip from which eventually there will be no escape.