1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Migrants target P&O ferry.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Yoda-, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

2. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

I blame Corbyn.

JL48 likes this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Perhaps they should have let them on board.....

And then sailed the ship to Syria and returned them to where (some) came from!

NB No, I'm not being serious. But I'd love to have seen their faces if that had happened! :D

4. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

5. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

What a profound mess the world is in.
    When the Irish went out into the world there were ships laid on to take them to the various other continents to carry out building works and put seaweed on the land.
    But how is this to go on? Everyday more children are drowned. What a nightmare. Going on right in front of our eyes: on TV and in the press. Our Global Village. The world we have made. You go on holiday to Tunisia eat drink and be merry and Syrians et all walk all the way to your house while you are out........such economic injustice there has never been.
    Bombing their homes has not really helped has it?
    Surely so many young men could be organised and trained to go back and act as peace keepers in the land they called home? The whole populations of nations cannot expect to be accommodated in other countries. It is bizarre.
    Surely Poland is empty right now. Maybe that land is needing new settlers.
    Perhaps we need navy ships in the Med to collect and scoop up those in such terrible danger and act as the first barriers to mass movements. A blockade. Then on the banks of the warring nations a neutral zone for the aid of those in distress. Sort out the genuine asylum seekers there and I am afraid the others must go home.
    It would cost. But so does the clearing of the Mediterranean of corpses of children.

6. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

Surely Poland is empty right now? What on earth does that mean?

7. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

Some people's thoughts seem to be in a "profound mess".

8. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

How much would it cost to police that part of the coast of Turkey in order to stop the activities of the traffickers who are overloading rubber dinghies with children without life jackets?

9. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Why on earth aren't the people traffickers being targeted and stopped? Why can't the International community work with the countries from whose ports these poor souls are being exploited?

10. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

A fortune. If you patrol one bit, they simply move the operation elsewhere.
    Knowing what they must know, you can only imagine the desperation of people who load themselves and their children onto a dinghy in the middle of winter. I've just watched the footage of the Jungle residents who stormed the ferry. It's freezing and wet in Calais and most of them have only a pop-up tent for shelter. We might as a nation have our shortcomings (and not a bottomless pit of money) but I can't see that we'd maintain that situation on our own territory. Which they know, which is why they want to come here instead.

@FrankWolley The man interviewed on TV was from Afghanistan. Not sure that Syria would let him in.

11. FritzGrade

Because the Turks and Libyans don't want to.

12. Burndenpark

I'm not sure which is worst the UKIPers with their innate distrust of pasta and other foreign imports or those misty-eyed for a golden past!

I really don't know where to start...

The Irish went to sea in a very similar way to what many of the current wave of migrants do- the only difference was in those days there weren't any official fleets trying to stop them. Everyday children on boats drowned or starved or died from scurvy- some were killed- but ‘cos they were black and being shipped from Africa no one was so bothered, may be apart from the person who saw them as an investment/ cargo.
    Social injustice? Yeah- in the days of LIz the first that was really a big thing, just as it was when people gathered at Saint Peter's Field in Manchester in 1819, or Saint Petersburg nearly 100 years later...

The world has never been populated exclusively by fluffy bunnies!

13. Burndenpark

Ermmm

http://www.unhcr.org/pages/49e48e0fa7f.html

The number of refugees and asylum-seekers in Turkey in 2015 is expected to rise to nearly 1.9 million, including 1.7 million Syrian refugees. UNHCR will continue to work closely with the Government of Turkey to support protection measures and facilitate access to public services and assistance available to both Syrian urban refugees and non-Syrian people of concern.

Makes you wonder why the Turks aren't doing more to stop people leaving doesn't it?

And you said Libyans? Which Libyans did you mean? Those in the nice stable country which isn't just trying to recover from an insurgency and civil war which may re-erupt at any moment? The Libyans who have a country that is governed by the rule of law and is a tourist destination? Those Libyans by any chance?

14. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Or those Libyans about to be ruled by \ISIS perchance.with there oilfields taken over and culture changed ?

15. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of it all we're giving Calais a miss on our return trips from Europe this year and plan to get the ferry back from Dunkirk, which appears a bit less chaotic. Out via Calais back via Dunkirk actually cost us slightly less than Dover Calais return. First world priorities I know, but I'm not prepared to risk damage to either us or our vehicle this time round.

Lascarina and FritzGrade like this.
  16. FritzGrade

They don't want millions of migrants living within their borders? Why would they? Not many countries do, well none really.

17. Burndenpark

Well done- you don't really get sarcasm do you?
    The point was that Lybia is a mess (one to which we contributed) and isn't really able to police its borders so well.

Just a ball park figure- as a percentage of what Turkey has got, how many refugees do you think we have in the UK?

18. FritzGrade

How can I tell whether you are being sarcastic or not?
    I don't know. Is it relevant?

19. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

All this chaos and human misery is caused by 'God'.

'God' is at the root of it all.

Daddy in the sky with violence is the comfort some seek. It wouldn't matter if 'God' were some other letterstring or some other associated myth about the big man.

It's kind of crazy when you think that we will wipe ourselves out as a species all because of a myth.

But then, as a species, we're not very bright.

Every opportunity, every resource at hand and we still can't sort it out because reason is thwarted by the absolute nonsense of belief in 'God'.

If we could wipe out the sickness of the evil 'God' we might be able to enjoy our existence and planet.

But no, 'God' is going to spoil it all for everyone.

Middlemarch and lanokia like this.
  20. Burndenpark

Unless you are also posting as Olds I don't know that it's your problem, at least not yet. (hint look at whoe the reply is addressed to)

Well as the thread started about migrants coming to the UK I'd thought it may be nice to have some degree of perspective.
    I guess you're not going to have a shot at answering my question are you?

If you fancy your chances "google is your friend"