1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Migrants in Calais

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Pigtailian, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Pigtailian

Pigtailian New commenter

How can we continue to allow people there to live in those appealing conditions? I can't understand we we're not doing something about it as a country. Children are trying to survive in the mud and cold. It's a wonder disease hasn't broken out!

There are only 7000 of them! We could easily find room for them in Britain. London may be overcrowded but there are plenty more places to house them. How many houses just need a bit of refurbishment to make them liveable? I'm sure we could do that! There are literally thousands of houses for sale on Rightmove and the same on Spareroom, so why isn't the government buying these places up to house our fellow humans?

We could easily find room for 100,000 with what is readily available for purchase and refurbishment. So why don't we do it? We could take those in Calais straight away and solve the issue with France tomorrow. So why don't we?

viceroy and Erin_Rhys like this.
  2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

3. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

I am sure they will enjoy sharing your home with you. Let us know how you get on.

aspensquiver_2, FrankWolley and wanet like this.
  4. wanet

wanet Star commenter

We are already overpopulated in this country!

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

There must be just as many empty properties in France. And as France let them in surely that means they are France's responsibility?

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

If they fail to seek asylum in France, a free & democratic country, it can only because they aren't refugees.

So the thread title is correct. They are migrants we have every right to exclude.

viceroy and Dragonlady30 like this.
  7. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

Gtes them every time.

sabrinakat likes this.
  8. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

There are many people who are living in desperate conditions in our country. What about helping those people already here, instead of letting more people come?

viceroy likes this.
  9. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Yup.

sabrinakat likes this.
  10. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Brilliant

Every time there's a solid gold nugget in there.

InkyP and sabrinakat like this.
  11. Pigtailian

Pigtailian New commenter

Untrue. London is overpopulated, not the whole country.

12. Pigtailian

Pigtailian New commenter

I don't have any spare room to share,nor am I offering a rental or house share service, but if I were, I would have no objection renting a room out to a migrant, or a house out to a migrant family for theproperfee, paid directly to myself, not to the renters to pay to me, and providing proper vetting and checks had been carried out. I would be wary of single men though after all the violence in Germany, and now a murder in Sweden. I am not saying it should be done for free! There are plenty of places to rent and plenty of money for the government to rent them.

13. Pigtailian

Pigtailian New commenter

You know very well what the intended word was.