1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Migrants at the border

Discussion in 'Personal' started by vinnie24, Nov 26, 2018.

1. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Reading just the first paragraph of the link:
    upload_2018-11-26_5-45-3.png
    So they violently and illegally try to enter the USA? And all they got was tear gas?

I've been in tear gas... it's unpleasant... but I lived.

Mexico should have deported them way back at the southern border.

3. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

Were you a child?

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

16 yes...

Why are parents taking their children into an area where force will be used? Disgraceful.

5. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

I find that remark mysoginistic The women don't need special treatment from the patriarchy.. They should be allowed to atrempt illegal entry on equal terms with men

6. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

And the children? Should they not expect special treatment?

7. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

They are seeking asylum.

Why are soldiers gassing children? Do you think it acceptable?

8. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

America stole Texas from the Mexicans in the first place, so as far as I'm concerned, the Mexicans have a right to cross a border that should never have been there.

MAGAorMIGA and FrankWolley like this.
  9. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Except that the Mexicans never had a right to be there - they are Spaniards who pinched the country from the Aztecs.

10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The migrants trying to get through the border in this latest incident are from Honduras, not Mexico.

In any event, the Mexicans stole Texas from American Indian tribes such as the Karankawa, Caddo, Apache, Comanche, Wichita, Coahuiltecan, Neches, Tonkawa, and many others in the first place, long before the Texans stole it from them.

11. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

Borders are a social construct of the white patriarchy. That's why I always refuse to show my passport.

artboyusa likes this.
  12. keyboard2

keyboard2 Established commenter

What about blacks who imposed their own borders during slavery?

monicabilongame likes this.
  13. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

And Mexico is an false construct of the Spanish foisted on the defeated ruins of the Aztecs.

Who were an imperialist culture that conquered the peoples who neighboured them before hand. And they were replacing the Teotihuacan.

I mean how far do we want to go back before it gets a bit silly. Either a country has the right to police its own borders... or you don't believe in countries*. And Mexicans are protesting the migrants and the Mexican government is looking to deport them, as they've just deported a 6th caravan that tried to enter Mexico.

* just a social construct!

artboyusa, monicabilongame and nomad like this.
  15. keyboard2

If an illegal alien attempts to enter a country without following due process, the state has a duty to protect its citizens. It's the state's first job.

The parents chose to put their children in that position and it is their own fault. Not the state's.

I am not sure what Christianity has to do with anything.

You wouldn't say "not very Islamic" for Islamic countries who refuse to accept refugees from other Islamic countries.

artboyusa, lexus300, the edge and 2 others like this.
  16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

No, the US is processing asylum claims... these people decided to storm the border. That isn't
    "seeking asylum''.

One interview I saw the lady said she would hire a coyote to get her into the USA. Not seeking asylum.
    BBC radio 4 this morning had a migrant saying ''we just want to work''... not seeking asylum.

These are people clearly abusing the goodwill of the USA and damaging the asylum system.

17. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

So the soldiers are right to gas the kids?

18. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

Some are seeking asylum.

19. keyboard2

Yes. Blame the parents. They chose to put the children in that position.

border_walker likes this.
  20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The rubber bullets used against children on UK streets were better.