1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Migraine?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by chocolate_cupcake, May 2, 2011.

1. Hi everyone, I am not sure if I am getting the beginnings of a migraine or not? The reason I ask is because I do not have a history (or a family history) of migraines so I'm not sure what's going on.

Keep getting this stabbing pain on the left side of my head, really hurts, and keep having waves of nausea. Woke up feelign absolutely fine this morning so I'm wondreing if it is actually just a really bad headache. Have taken ibuprofen but they haven't worked very well.

Thanks

2. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

Just a thought- is it connencted to you period at all? I had my first ever migraine in October last year just before my period. I thought I was dying! My periods are erratic to say the least, sodid not really link the two. but I have had two periods since then, both preceeded for two days by a migraine. Laying perfectly still helps the nausea for me, but nothing touches the pain, and I have given up keeping things in the freezer because I have to turn it off because the hum is just too much (currently living in a bedsit).
    Hope it clears for you soon.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Frankly, if you're reading a computer screen or typing a message onto a computer site you don't have migraine. I only learned the difference between migraine and really bad headaches when I started having migraine.

4. Yes, I agree Mandala.
    A migraine causes severe, constant pain, nausea, aversion to light (sitting in front of a computer screen would be hell) and you really do want to die. It's the most disgusting pain ever....and sadly, those who suffer tend to get them regularly. I bless the person who concocted Zomig, which aborted migraines for me. (It left me feeling spaced out, shaky and feeble afterwards....) but it gave me my life back to a certain extent.(Pink Migraleve made me feel worse....)
    I was under my doctor and only prescription remedies worked for me - I tried them ALL over a 30 yr period...and now happily I don't suffer any more as my present drugs regime keeps them at bay, even though Zomig can't be taken any more. (Contra indicated with some of the other things I take.)
    I sympathise that you are feeling so rough....it's horrible. You could try over the counter remedies, like Migraleve but give it time. I hope it vanishes soon....it could be anything causing it, like stress, lack of sleep, alcohol.
    If it goes and then comes back, (a few days or a few weeks later) do visit your GP who'll be better able to advise you. I hope you feel better soon.