1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Might the time ever come when AI is able to detect who's evil in our society?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Four of today's news items prompted this question.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The above have variously been found guilty of murder, rape and mugging an elderly woman twice.

I dunno about you, but whenever I see a mugshot of some evil b.astard who's been found guilty of a horrible crime, I look at their eyes and think to myself it's bleeding obvious they'd be up to no good.

Every single time.

In the Rotherhan abuse scandal, there wasn't one of those found guilty who had a face you'd warm to, let alone trust any more than you'd want to trust a Tory MP.

I bet you any money you like, that artificial intelligence could pick the felons, wrongdoers, potential yardbirds and general ne'er do wells out in seconds and save hours of policework, before their crimes were committed.

Is it only the fear that too many Tory MPs might end up getting arrested that prevents such a technology being used by the police?

2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

3. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Hasn't this been done before... in the late 1800's? I'm wanting to say Lombroso. I'm sure someone with a greater depth of knowledge can fill in the rest.

Spirit - great on knowing little bits of ****. Available for quiz teams.

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Yup. Cesare Lombroso is the man you want.

5. --Badger--

--Badger-- Occasional commenter

3 of these look like members of my SLT so you might be right.

Duke of York likes this.
  6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Yes, in every single one of the Enid Blyton mystery books, where the criminal was outed already from their first encounter with the children, because of "thin lips and eyebrows that met in the middle".
    Extra crim points for "scar" and "gruff voice".

Later still, of course was the science of Scooby Doo. Criminals additionally identifiable by "drawn stooping and with a very jagged outline". So clever. Just like real actual criminals.

7. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Wouldn't EVERYONE look awful on certain types of photos?

towncryer, nizebaby and needabreak like this.
  8. Spiritwalkerness

Which is why we can all spot a 'wrong un'

9. Spiritwalkerness

10. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Or, as Evan Hunter said, all criminals had to be WASPs as one point. Blyton did challenge some stereotypes, as a friend of mine from a Romany background pointed out, but the idea of physical appearance matching 'moral goodness' has been about for some time. I'd imagine most of us wouldn't look very appealing after being in prison, with no access to our normal cosmetics/food/bed/shower/mirror etc.

11. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

I agree. I think they mainly looked p****d off that they have been caught!!

12. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Dead eyes and thick as pig sh*t is the usual look. Very depressing.

13. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Surely most of the Tory cabinet would fit in with this lot, including "Dead Eye" Johnson and supercreep Gove?

14. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

What was it about them that you didn't like?
    [​IMG]

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ai spotting ''evil'' on the basis of pre-assigned stereotypical traits?

Oh, I can't see that being an utter disaster...

16. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Eyebrows that meet in the middle. mmm ... that could save a lot of court time. upload_2019-11-13_9-44-35.jpeg

towncryer likes this.
  17. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

I can see it being a good movie though. Minority Report 2? Or used in a TV series.

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Whole new meaning to ''your face doesn't fit"

Here, you, you look a bit like those child killers... you're scum! Scccuuuuuum!

Yeah this sounds a real good future.

towncryer likes this.
  19. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

My grandad used to say... You can tell a murderer because the tops of their ears are higher than their eyebrows. No idea where he got that one from but I bet your all feeling to see where the tops of your ears are in relation to your eyebrows!

20. nomad

nomad Star commenter

So all elves and Mr Spock...