1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Might schools learn anything from today's BBC report?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It was pretty damming, wasn't it? A culture in which it was felt that whistle blowers' careers could end suddenly if they mustered the breath to blow a whistle.

To tell the truth, I've never been given a whistle to blow as part of the standard equipment I've been expected to use in any job I've had. I don't know whether PE teachers get them.

My whistling abilities are limited to melodies, attempted birdsong and wolf whistles, which I hasten to add, are used to attract the attention of my dog rather than the ladies.

I don't pretend to be an expert whistler and can tell you now that you'd be disappointed if you booked me in as a Roger Whittaker tribute act to help you out in your assemblies.

Nevertheless, whistle blowing interests me to the extent that I appreciate that there are skills beyond the needs of the football referee and often involve the expertise used in whistle sucking.

You only need to listen to a dog's squeaky toy for a minute to appreciate how much they enjoy the suck part as much as the blow part and a minute further to snatch the sodding thing out of his grasp and put it beyond reach.

I'm not sure where this is going, other than to advise that the whistle suck Is less harsh than the whistle blow and might be used to advantage if teachers choose to alert their management about abuse during exams.

2. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I know a PE teacher's whistle is much more effective at getting a rowdy class to be quiet, than some namby pamby counting to five, and then writing so-called warnings down on the whiteboard.

On whistle-blowing, sadly those who try it, despite the 'legal protection' get punished in one underhand way or another.

HelenREMfan likes this.
  3. Alf58

Alf58 Established commenter

Your Grace, are you seriously saying you have never had to whistle to summon a servant in your magnificent ancestral home? There must have been times the bells were not working?

Lara mfl 05 and Duke of York like this.
  4. Alf58

I forgot to add :D to the above. I don't mean any offence.

5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I don't know what you imagine my life's like, Alf, but a whistle brings the dog with a squeaky toy to pester me with, in the hope I will throw it for him after we've played his inane game of trying to get it off him.

Do you have a terriorist dog?

This inane game involves bringing the toy close enough to annoy you with, then snatching from your reach. Repeat ad infinitum until you distract him with the last toy he brought, which brings him close enough for you to grab the toy and play the game of tug, which can be easily won when the dog is a puppy by grabbing one of his front paws, which confuses the terriorist dog pup briefly enough for him to let go.

After you've had the dog for a month, he's gotten wise to your trick, so it involves the testing task of hanging onto the toy with one hand while he growls and dances around on the other end of the toy to prevent to grabbing any of his paws, including the back ones..

If you've got something to hand such as rolled newspaper or wine bottle to threaten him with, he might let go for long enough for you to put the toy out of reach, but by the time you've put the toy out of reach on your desk and laid down the implement you threatened to bludgeon him with, the little sod has jumped onto your lap, grabbed the toy and started the game over again from square one.
    Do me a favour, will yer, Alf?

When the dog hears a bell, it sets him off barking furiously, the cat runs for cover, which is usually on the top of my desk if it isn't cluttered with dog toys, and struts back and forth in front of the computer monitor and I get grief from my old woman, who's trying to find out who is going to evicted from Celebrity Dancing on Skis or some other such nonsense.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Ah well I might just be an old Luddite but on useless HT having a fire drill.... surrounded by the ever- eager to exert their authority SLT..... it has to be said that the gathered Years 7 to 13 paid not one jot of notice of the "air of authority", followed by ever increasing hand signals coupled with frown, sub voce "You are letting me down" from DH who had by having long been away from actually teaching these children who were suppose to hang on to his every word - as indeed when he taught- they did used to - had lost that role. Til - unable to put up with the shambles any longer I stepped out from my year group with...... my whistle.
    Magic.......

Of course it probably pushed me higher up the list of "those who need watching/resistant to change" but I have to confess i savoured the moment!

cissy3 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

My old Jack Russell...alas no longer with us, must have held the world record re "squeaks" @Duke of York. In the interest of fairness all 3 JRs were bought squeaky toys...... the 2 boys would joyfully receive theirs whilst the old b*tch would - with a toss of the head a vice-like jaw action "de-squeak" her toy in micro seconds. Then with a pouncing snarl, the boys one by one would be parted from theirs as she would frantically try to break her world record of forcing out the plastic squeaky from the innards of the toy and silence it forever.
    Job done she would trot off to her favourite corner leaving 2 deflated boys and 3 deflated toys.... ah she was magic !
    10398959_101477729864333_4025462_n.jpg

InkyP, lanokia and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. Alf58

I only have a cat who likes to climb onto my desk and sprawl all over any paper work I am attempting to do. If she hears a whistle she is straight under the sofa and does not emerge for quite some time.